Self Defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ICallHerVera, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ICallHerVera

ICallHerVera New Member

I have a mossberg maverick 88 shotgun for home defense. I was considering buying a .45Ca handgun for self defense that I could keep in my car (with a concealed weapons liscence of course). I heard glocks are some of the most reliable so I was thinking about that. What are some of the models that you would recomend. Also I live in Florida, do you know about the laws concerning concealed weapons liscense?
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

If I'm not mistaken, Florida follows the "castle doctrine", meaning your car is an extension of your home, so you don't have to have a CCW to have a weapon in your vehicle. Hopefully, some of our FL members will chime in on that.

Also, I believe that FL is a "shall issue" state, meaning that all you have to do to get a CCW license is apply, assuming you don't have a criminal record, etc.

Let me go find the official site for FL firearm laws ...
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

4. You will get a lot of opinions about Glocks here on the forums, but as for myself, I love 'em. Which model is a matter of personal choice. If you want a .45 ACP, look for a Glock 30 or 36 for the most compact version, or a Glock 21 if you want a full size. Personally, I like the so-called "mini" Glocks, the 26 (9mm), 27 (.40 S&W), or the 33 (.357 Sig) for daily carry. I do have a Glock 30 and will sometimes carry that if concealment is less of a problem.

For information on Florida firearms laws, or the laws of any state for that matter, take a look here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Sig makes very reliable guns, too. The P220 is a .45 ACP, and you can get it as a double-action only (the DAK model--similar to a Glock) or as DA/SA.
    And if this is truly going to be a "car gun" where you aren't trying to hide it on your body, a Ruger P90 wouldn't be bad, either. It's pretty big to carry, though.
  6. redhart

redhart New Member

I carry Springer ultra compact v 10 ,have not beefs.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Here, where I live, we have an indoor shooting range, and they rent guns! My advice is to find a place like that there where you live and try out several different types of guns. You'll find one you like!
  8. Shellback

Shellback New Member

I myself love the Sigs solid relieable and downright tough weapons abit spendy but you get what you pay for. Glocks will never be in my arsnel JMHO. Springfield arms has there XD series and I have shot several and they are a sturdy weapon.
    Tim