1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Self-Made Revolving Shotgun -- Worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rhmc24, Jul 24, 2012.

1. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Wondering what the value would be of my Revolving Shotgun. It is my creation in 2009. Basic description, 12 gauge, six shots, revolves and cocks by triggerguard lever, load-unloads like a Colt Single Action with side gate and push rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

can i be rudely honest ?
  3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

I endorse what my Grandfather often said "honest is the best policy".
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I had a mate here , a charcter like your self , Pro Hart ( look him up , artist)

i made cannons for him , because he was a famous sort of artist and loved guns Pro took on a lot of the early fight back , sort of a spokesman ,

anyway , his stuff was good and showed the aussie outback , but wasn't valuable ,

now he's passed , things with his name .. WOW ! ..

google that too

when he was just a mad miner who liked black powder weapons , shooting and did paintings to see to tourists , i got a few off him as payment for small job's , i've a few of a few aussie artists , stuff from gun smiths , engravers of note , etc

one day that piece is gonna be worth something more than $$$ because what it is who made it , no blowing sunshine no where ok ?

theres you , holmes ( and i've built his too and published fixes , especially the pistol )
    mintrand or whatever the frog guy is and thats it , since about 1710

Phil Luty , i class different , he's Phil , Bless him also passed now , great fighter for gun rights in the UK and great improvised weapons designer, they locked him up again for his work and he died in gaol from his cancer
    they let the lockerby bomber free.. Phil , a gun rights campaigner .. nada ..

document it all , make up a package , and do it that way

folks who like this sort of thing and have a eye for the future will jump

that'd never fly here as a licensed import , but by heck , i'd give it a good run for it's money for a collectors as it has a package from the maker , it's unique , ( for now )

yeah .. ;)
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That revolving shotgun is beautiful work and it is really amazing that one person could produce it. I know I couldn't, and don't know many people who could. You have my respect.

But the brutal truth is that one-off guns are very rarely valuable unless the maker goes on to greater glory. A pistol hand-made by Joe Zilch in 1897 would be interesting but probably not valuable even if it did show advanced ideas. But change "Joe Zilch" to "John Browning" and the story changes, a lot!

Such guns turn up from time to time on these sites, and you see them at gun shows, where they often attract interest but not money.

Also, revolving long guns have never been very popular. Even though modern guns should be safe, there is just something about having a loaded chamber pointing right at your fore arm and the side blast from the barrel-cylinder gap hitting your wrist that turn most folks off.

Jim
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Individuals do like to keep their forarms... still a cool weapon.
  7. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Thanks to all, especially Jim K, for comments. My intent in making it was just to satisfy my 'thing' about making something different. Even at minimum wage it wouldn't amout to much for all the hours put in.

The 'side blast' is really not a problem. Holding it normally your left fore arm is about 8-10" from the b/c gap. Bare arm, it is felt when fired but not uncomfortable, with normal shirt sleeve not noticeable. It has been fired over 100 rounds mostly by me but also by four others. Those persons, sometime shooters rather than gun critics, none ever remarked about the side blast. The b/c gap is about .015".

As a prototype, each firing session brought out adjustments to be made and what I could have done better. I consider it de-bugged now and I am incorporating improvements in my 20 ga. 3 shooter revolving shotgun I have started - which due to age, etc., may never get fihished. As with the 12 ga., I try to be as original as possible and not copy previous designs - only partially possible. Here minimal progress on 20 ga. 3 shooter:

[​IMG]
  8. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

I can tell you the exact dollar value of it: $0.00
    It is legal for you to make it, but without an FFL manufacturers license it is illegal to sell or transfer it to anyone. Unfortunately upon your death it would legally need to be destroyed as well since it cannot be transferred or possessed by someone else who did not make it themselves.

I think you did a good job building it though.
  9. twobit

twobit Active Member

Very nice work there! Obama would say "you didn't build that" :D
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Flash bang no he can sell it he cant as a commercial operation though

he can as a item if he stamps it as per the law and its transfered legally , i've built guns in the US , it why i come there, to make build and shoot guns , have fun ..

and funny thing is , i've bought a few odd bit's i have a couple of evelyn owens early works ( .22's both ) bought em from lysaughts when i was chasing the blue prints for the owen gun and research info ...

gave lysaughts $750 for them and a stack of notebooks and plans

i've collectors offering a real good profit for them , but i like them so keeping them , to me they are important it links to a person who did things that have a connection to me , I carried a owen gun early on along with a M79 40mm blooper

Mr McCrory here is similar , so it may be no dollar value to some but i'm looking for a couple decent US colt's i can horse trade with him for it and another he has made ( BP shotgun) .. long ago i bought one of his books and my grand father helped me build the gun , my Grandsons got it now .. when he's a bit more older tooly we may make one together .. so to me theres a big interest , among others i chat with , some as well ..

i had a ball with that little gun for years .. and i made it (with a lot of help and advice ) good days..

Cheers either way to you Mr McCrory !
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If he sells it, either he or the buyer has to pay the government 11% tax. That pesky excise tax on firearms.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

wanna know what we pay ? 60% duty on imported C&R

gun control by taxes
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Very similar to this Rossi Circuit Judge here

Attached Files: