Self taught??

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by lefty48, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

d-gray,
    Weither using blackpowder, the subs, or smokless, one always needs to be aware of what is behind the target. Your round will probably leave the barrel at something close to 1,000 fps, so it will travel a mite before it drops. I've never been pinged by a spent round, but I have gotten a few shot-gun showers, even those little pellets wern't too pleasent to encounter. :eek:
    Just my two cents.
  2. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was aiming at. MY steel shed in GA used to sound like a hail storm during dove season. I know .22's and bigger rounds drop harder. Just want to keep folks aware.

Dave :)
  3. WV SCROUNGER

WV SCROUNGER New Member

SELF TAUGHT....Sure!
    that how I learned....been shootin since 1970 and aint had a mishap yett...
  4. 44-40 Willy

44-40 Willy New Member

I starting shooting the holy black back in the late 70s. A buddy of mine gave me the Dixie Gun Works catalog and suggested I read the entire back portion of it. That got me started and I've picked up most of the rest I know about it along the way.

Some of the best fun I've had small game hunting with a muzzleloader has been with an old Navy Arms 12ga SxS double. Even made my own "speedloaders" for it out of PVC pipe.