sell the box ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by henry0reilly, Jan 10, 2007.

1. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

I have an offer, sight unseen, of $50 on the box for the Super Blackhawk I recently purchased.

If I do decide to sell it I'll post it in an auction with a $50 minimum bid rather than selling it outright but I'm not sure.

I really can't see having the box adding $50 to the value of the gun or would it?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The box can certainly add to the value on older, collectable firearms. It also adds to the value of newer, unfired, firearms.

A newer Super Blackhawk is not (yet) a collectable. If you plan on using your SB as a shooter, sell the box. If you intend to put it away and admire it, keep the box.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

A box for the new model is worth less than ten bucks. You may as well keep it.
  4. swabjocky

swabjocky New Member

many collectors of just about anything will pay a premium to have the item in it's "origiinal" box. Also the more paperwork you have pertaining to that item can also increase it's value. Yeah I get bored and watch Antiques Roadshow.
  5. ken w.

ken w. Member

If you still own the gun I would keep it with it along with all the paperwork.I just sold a S&W box on Ebay for $75.00 with all the paperwork.People like to have the box. If you ever sell your gun the box will add to the value of it.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Isn't this concept of value for a box flawed. Any gun I have purchased in the last 20 years has the gun's serial number on it. What good is a box for another firearm? It's hardly "original box and paperwork" when the numbers don't match.

Whom ever offered the $50 is not thinking right. If it is a friend then straighten him out but if you don't know him take the money and run.

LDBennett