Sellier&Bellot 9mm bullets question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Dec 22, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

About a year ago I bought 1000rds of S&b 9mm bullets.Since then I've heard some negative comments about them from members whose input I respect.Did I make a mistake buying this much?I've heard it's not worth reloading the empty brass.I don't reload 9mm yet but had hoped I could reload the empties.What is ya'lls opinion on this? Should I Throw away the brass? Any innput on this would be appreciated. Joe
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

I reload three calibers and have had no issues with S&B brass. Good factory made ammo too IMHO.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

S&B is my favorite ball, in 45 and 9mm. It is also great brass for reloading. It seems to me that the primer pocket is crimped, the same as military brass. A friend of mine claims it isn't, and says he has no problems priming it on his Dillon, but I run it all through a primer pocket swager, first. Then it's cake. Good strong brass, lasts forever.
  4. accident

I guess I'm ok then.I had thought I heard some members talking about having trouble getting them to fit their shellholders.Maybe I'm confused.Wouldn't be the first time! Thanks Joe
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have reloaded the s@b for years and had no problems to speak of.i did years ago run into some brass that was too soft but not since. old semperfi
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've never reloaded s&b but i've shot a hole bunch of it in various calibers. never had a problem with it. it always was reliable and accurate.

probably my favorite ammo is mectech/CBC

sure is good shooting stuff in 357
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

S&B brass is just fine; the fact that they seal their primers can make it a little more difficult to deprime. In 45acp, they're the only ones that can give me a rare problem, other than the new "green" NT ammo with SPP's, but that is a whole'nother issue. With 9mm, there's plenty of brass available at low cost, so if you do have any issues you can get more cheaply. Highly doubt you'll have any issues though.
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The rim on S&B 9mm is slightly different than any other brass I've witnessed. It does give some issues in some shellholders. With 9mm so plentiful I bypass S&B myself, but just personal preference, it will function fine.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have been shooting various calibers of S&B for a few years and like everyone else said, never any problem with it or the brass.
  10. Waldog

Waldog Member

The primer pockets on S&B and Amerc brass is REALLY TIGHT. With literally GAZILLLONS of non- S&B/Amerc laying on the ground free to be picked up, it's not worth the aggravation of reloading S&B/Amerc brass.
    As for factory rounds, they as good as anything out there. Just not worth it to reload unless you want to swage or ream TINY 9mm cases.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You really shouldn't use Amerc brass in conjunction with any other brand. It's like saying "Yugos and Mustangs are both really small cars", which leads people that are unfamiliar with the two types to think that Yugo and Mustang are almost the same car.
  12. Waldog

Waldog Member

All right, let me rephrase: S&B has really tight primer pockets. IMHO, they are not worth the effort to reload. I have also found that Amerc brass has tight primer pockets. IMHO, they are not worth the effort to reload as well. :rolleyes:
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont particularly care for them. the primer pockets are either super loose or super tight, but they do reload fine. Ill use them if i got them.
  14. accident

thanks guys. Joe
  15. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMO the ammo itself is just fine but the brass...

I have 500+ rounds of .40 brass from them that'll just be sitting in storage for oh, probably eternity. I found them to be a complete pain in the primer pocket and not worth my time. I have plenty of other brass that doesn't require extra attention and time before loading so the S&B stuff will be last ditch back-up brass only. I've had lesser amounts of 9mm and .380 that I simply tossed out.