Sellier & Bellot Surplus 22LR Ammo?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by LDBennett, May 18, 2005.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

I found S&B Czech military surplus (1970's) 22LR std velocity target ammo at AIM Surplus. If bought in 125 boxes of 50 rounds, packaged in a wooden crate it works out to about $1.25 a box. I bought one 500 round brick to test. I tested the following pistols at 50 feet, 20 round groups, off a rest, and threw away two flyers from every group as my shooting is suspect at least that much:

Beretta 87 Target with red dot
    Sig Trailside with red dot
    S&W Model 41 open sights
    Marvel 22 conversion on Colt 1911 frame open sights
    CZ Kadet open sights

I tested the S&B against Wolfe Match Target and CCI Blazer. These last two are the best value for the buck in a target ammo and a cheapy ammo, that I have found yet. The Wolfe has been found to shoot really well at about $2.50 a box of 50.

In all cases the Wolfe out shot the other two except in the CZ Kadet. Amazingly the Blazer won that contest. The only place the S&B was equal to the Wolfe was in the Beretta 87 Target. In two cases the Blazer out shot the S&B and in one case it equaled it

I got a surprise when the AIM supplied S&B ammo arrived as the ammo was $15 for the brick and the shipping was $10. Perhaps the shipping would be better for the wooden crate (???). I can get the Wolfe Match Target to my door for $29 a brick. The Blazer is about $13 a brick at Big Five on sale and less if I let my daughter buy it as she is an employee and gets a discount.
    ---------------------------------------
    The bottom line is don't bother with this surplus S&B 22 ammo. It is nothing special. It has sat around for about 30 years and time was not good to it for accuracy. I'll finish off the rest of the brick in my 10/22 shooting at cans or something.
    ---------------------------------------
    As an aside, of the two red dot'ed guns they both shot just about the same. Amazingly my open sighted S&W equaled the group size of the two red dot'ed guns (all with Wolfe Match Target ammo). I should not be too surprised as the gun has amazed me ever since I bought it about ten years ago. It seems to always pull out little groups even when I am not sure I did my part.

The Beretta definitely needs trigger work. I'll have to get to it, I guess. The Marvel, while it has a good reputation, has not shown itself yet. I have yet to use the ammo it likes. I suppose I should just use Marvel's recommended ammo but I would like to somewhat limit the different 22 ammo I have on hand. Unfortunately, the Marvel is not particularly happy with my selections so far.

LDBennett
  2. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

Thanks for the review LD,
    You just saved me some money!
    Regards,Robert.
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

What does Marvel recommend?

Thanks for the review - reinforces my experience with the Wolf Match. My 10/22, MKII, and Kimber Classic all like it - and cheaper than Eley.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

45smashemflat:

They claim the best results with various (won't be specifice) Eley ammos. They recommend Aguila for an inexpensive ammo.

I have tried Wolfe Match Target, Wolfe Match Extra, Remington Standard Velocity, CCI Blazer which typically has shot groups only about 30% bigger than the best I could find in other guns.

I am reluctant to start with Eley as all their ammo is so expensive and often doesn't do as good a Wolfe Match Target. I resist having many different ammos to feed the likes of each gun. I try to find an acceptable one or two that most of my target pistols like. Aguila is available but is not readily available everywhere.

LDBennett
  5. Mausermeister

Mausermeister New Member

Before you give up on the S&B, try it in a bolt rifle or two. I have had good results with it in my bolt guns, especially the longer barreled ones. I shot a match score of 377-14x using the S&B in a Mossberg 46B(B) with peep sights a couple weeks ago. It shoots better that the Wolf match in that gun. Most of my semi-autos don't seem to like it and won't group for crap with it, except for my 10/22 bull barrel which loves it. I have not tried it in any handguns.

It could just be that I got a few bricks out of a good lot on the first order, but I liked it enough that I bought another case. I haven't started shooting it yet. It cost $175.36 shipped to my door. That works out to $1.40/box.