selling and appraisal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mpeter, Oct 9, 2006.

1. mpeter

mpeter New Member

I have a set of commemorative flintlock pistols from the USHS that I have been trying to get appraised. I am in San Antonio Tx. Can anyone give me apoint in the rright direction?
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You didn't say which flintlocks you have. Here is what a dealer who specializes in these is asking:

Andrew Jackson U.S. Historical Society flint pistol commemorative. $2,095.00 (This is for a single pistol)

Hamilton & Burr U.S. Historical Society Pair of Duelers. $2,895.00

Royal Armouries of the Tower of London U.S. Historical Society commemorative. A beautifully engraved 2nd model Dragoon cased with accessories issued in 1989. $2,450.00

Thomas Jefferson Limited Edition pistols by U.S. Historical Society. Only 1000 made. Set contains a pair of flint pistols in a fancy presentation case with accessories and paperwork. Scarce. $2,995.00

Be warned that in order to attain the above prices the pistols must be in absolutely new and pristine condition, showing no handling marks. Buyers for these commemoratives are few and far between, as they are really what is called "manufactured collectibles." Granted, they are of high quality, but most collectors want the real thing, not expensive reproductions.