selling used brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Luke, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

hi everyone just wondering, is it possible to sell used brass? i have quite alot and was wondering if there are places that purchase used brass. thanks,
    Luke
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Depending on how much "a lot" is, you could try selling it here or on e-bay. If you realy have a ton of brass my neighbors here in Provo are "Center Street Brass-once fired brass co" They would be interested if there is enough of it. what ya got????:)
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Worst case scenario, Most Recycle-Yards will give you cash for Brass.
    I get $1.37-1.45/lb
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

well I guess compared to what some people have my "collection is quite small. I have mostly .45's about 550, but im still picking up lots every time I go to the range. I think ill try selling some on ebay. I have alot of rounds but not tons of the same ones but like I said im still picking them up :). If I took them to the junk yard how much do they give you per pound?
    Luke
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Luke, especially the .45 stuff, you should be able to sell easily, even mixed. And if it is mostly "once fired," and reloadable, 550 cases is a pretty decent amount....

YES you can take it to a salvage yard, like I do all my berdan brass cases, split and mangled cases and spent primers when the coffee can under the presses starts overflowing, when I take my yearly load of other accumulated stuff and cans but then I "junked" (er, RECYCLED, yeah, that's it :p) my way through college too, so I never throw ANYTHING out thats ferrous or non-ferrous metal....I'm NEVER far from a old pocket knife/scraper and a magnet...;)

BUT at the show last weekend just about EVERY ammo dealer, new and reloaded, as well as many others not even selling ammo had signs up in BOLD print..."Buying Used Brass Cases" and usually "any amount,any caliber, any condition." I haven't seen so many signs before...

Just a wild ass guess, ;) but the price of copper has TRIPLED in the past three month (have you tried to buy any copper pipe or electrical wire recently?) so while I haven't checked in a while, if copper is up that much, brass isn't far behind....last year I got if I remember right like $.35 or $.45/lb for my yellow brass bucket, now I wouldn't be surprised if it isnt at least $.60 to $.90/lb.

You can get a lot more than that selling them as cases, and not scrap.

(Which has me thinking, I haven't called for scrap prices in a while, maybe I'll call tomorrow, I have some "hard" steel," a little sheet, and some cast that needs to go soon too, I wonder what those are bringing now....:cool: )
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  6. Luke

Luke New Member

ok thanks polishshooter for all the information. Every time i go the the fireing range i bring home pockets full of others spent ammo, not really knowing why, but now i do :D. thanks again,
    Luke
  7. Luke

Luke New Member

I was just wondering is there a section on this site where you can sell used brass? i seached in trade/sell/buy for brass, but no results. is there a designated section?
    thanks,
    Luke
  8. standles

standles New Member

Selling to individuals is the best route.

Most scrap yards have minimum requirements and they also require it to be deprimed as well most of the time.

Steven
  9. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I would guess you could just list it as a want to sell item.

Years ago I traded a box of range brass for a used High Standard 9 shot .22lr revolver. Our local Army Navy store had a small gun counter & a little sign that said "we buy used brass". I left the box on the counter & went shopping while the guy at the counter went thru the brass. a half hour later I went to the counter & was told I would have to take merchandise not cash. He said I could have a .22 rifle or that revolver. Those were the days. That store is now sadly out of business.
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

First, Luke, you should sort it, after taking a magnet and pulling out any that might be steel cases, be careful, some steel cases are "copper washed" and look like Brass..those you just throw away, they are not good for anything, and for $.02-$.04/lb you'd need a BUNCH to make any money at a scrap yard....

Next, be sure you don't have any Berdan primed ones, mostly they will be oddball sized European pistol or rifle cases, if you shine a light down them and see TWO small primer holes instead of one centered, it's berdan, that goes to the scrapyard if they are brass, they are rarely reloaded by anybody except guys who are obsessed with doing stuff the hard way:p

Also be on the lookout for aluminum cased 'Blazer" ammo, that stuff is not reloadable, but you can start an "aluminum" collection for the scrapyard, that's pretty high too:p

What's LEFT is what you have that's valuable to reloaders, which may be less than the 550 you have now, but still a substantial amount.

20 years ago when I bought "once fired" .45 acp brass to reload for IPSC, I remember I paid like $.05/each in lots of 500-1000 cases, but mostly ex-military, which seemed to last longer than commercial, but was cheaper since you had to ream the primer pocklet to reload them which is a pain, but to this day when I pick up my brass I still refer to it as "chasing nickels":p

I think once fired mixed .45 ACP brass would go for a lot more than a nickel apiece now if you sold them....maybe somebody can tell you what they paid for them recently, I'm still reloading some of my old "IPSC" cases from the 80s, some of them I recognize from the markings I put on them to tell mine from other shooters have been reloaded 20 times or more, even though I'm "down" to only about 800 or so left....;)
  11. Luke

Luke New Member

thanks for all the help agian. i already sorted the berdan primed, and aluminum cases out from the bunch. thats a pretty good deal, used brass for a gun! i wonder if I could do that these days :rolleyes:
    also, does anybody know if Kittery Trading Post buys used brass? because they sell it and they must be getting it from somewhere. thanks again,
    Luke
  12. Luke

Luke New Member

also, i have some metal machine gun links, that are for .308 bullets (not sure if they can be used for others) are they worth any thing?
    Luke
  13. LASSIE

LASSIE New Member

how do you find center street brass provo, utah
    I need some once fired brass
  14. nikkolle69

nikkolle69 New Member

who buys brass and more??

i found a place in Everett, Ma that buys Brass, metal, aluminum, wires old pipes all sorts of metal scraps the website is www.scrapit.us and the name of the place is Scrap-It Inc. Minichiello Bros., im telling u even if u don't live in mass or nearby check out the website i was amazed at what they buy, it was exactly what i was looking for when i started my search for "who buys brass"