SEMI AUTO SAFETY ???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ugotit33, Oct 23, 2010.

1. ugotit33

ugotit33 New Member

Would like some feed back on semi auto safety.
    Inquiring for a friend so I do not have a bias opinion.
    -======================================
    Sig 266 has a hammer drop ( decocker)
    Most of mine have external AMBI safety.
    Like on a Taurus PT 99 AMBI and a CZ 40 AMBI thumb safety
    Would like views on which is a better way to go.
    Thank you
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am not sure of the question. The decocker and the manual safety are different mechanisms; the decocker is usually used on pistols with a double action trigger, and the manual safety on single actions, but that is not absolutely hard and fast. The term "ambi" as applied to either only means it can be operated from either side of the gun to accommodate right and left hand shooters.

If you are asking which type of safety is safer, both are safe; since the safety is part of the overall gun design, I would think a person would choose the gun he preferred, then settle for the type of safety used on that gun.

Jim
  3. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Jim is correct, this is usually how it happens.

I, however, go about it just the opposite because I simply don't feel safe carrying a handgun that doesn't have an external hammer with a half-cock feature. Call me old fashion, but I am very uncomfortable carrying a pistol cocked and locked regardless of the safeties. If there is a round in the chamber, I want to see that the hammer is down (half cock) and that the gun can't fire.

As one might suspect, this mindset (for better or worse) is less of a problem with a double-action, or DAO pistol, as apposed to a single-action.
  4. Jay

Jay Active Member

I think it's much more awkward to draw, then fully cock the hammer, than it is to simply draw and flick off the thumb safety.

I've always been of the opinion that the function of the half cock notch was simply to catch the hammer in mid-fall if the cavalryman's thumb slipped off the hammer while trying to fully cock the weapon while on horseback. Other folks say that Mr. Browning incorporated a half-cock safety in all his other designs, why not the 1911 as well?

Pick yer poison folks. I've carried for 40 years cocked and locked with no issues at all, and my muscle memory would be severely compromised if I were to change.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

No matter what the Browning apostles say today, Browning did incorporate only a half cock as a safety in his early designs, up to the 1910. The military made him put a manual safety on because the cavalry was concerned about making the pistol safe while trying to control an unruly horse. Regardless, on a 1911 that has an inertia firing pin, it is probably safer to carry the gun hammer fully down than on half-cock. The reason is that if the gun is dropped on the hammer spur the sear and/or the half-cock notch may be damaged enough to fail and the extra distance the hammer moves makes it more likely the gun will fire. But a hammer fully down is resting on the firing pin, which is not in contact with the cartridge primer, and even a forceful blow will not discharge a chambered round.

(Note the above is applicable to the traditional 1911; new guns with firing pin blocks can be carried safely with the hammer in any position, since the firing pin cannot move unless the trigger is pulled or the grip safety squeezed, depending on the design.)

Jim
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. Jay

Jay Active Member

In some of the newer 1911-style guns, pulling the trigger while the hammer is in the "half-cocked" position will cause/allow the hammer to drop.
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

for another point of view about safetys.... my gun of choice right now for every day carry is either a sig p225 or smith model 39 and i use them as if they do not have safetys installed, in other words i don't use them at all. round in the chamber and i cock as i draw, and yes i know they are double action and there is no need to cock it, but it's my methode since i was trained on single action and i dislike the long first pull if i dont cock it first. . for serious work i carry a hi-power and it's always kept live round in the chamber and hammer down.using the cock as i draw procedure.... no safety applied. the best and most important safety is located between your ears......
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Your hammer drop (decocker) is also your safety. To fire the gun, you must disengage the safety, and either pull the triger to fully cock and fire the gun, or disengage the safety (decocker) cock the hammer back manually, and pull the trigger.

The guns that are built strickly as a SA type firearm usually have more than one safety, such as the 1911. You have a manual safety for the hammer, and you have a grip safety. These guns are very safe to carry in cocked & locked mode. They can not fire if dropped when the manual safety is engauged. That safey must be disengauged, and the grip safety must be pressed in, or the gun won't fire. Both methods work fine. As to the AMBI safety, I feel that it is adequate on SA style guns that have a grip safety, but no so with those SA guns that don't. The AMBI safety can be disengauged accidently by bumping into something if that safey is exposed. I know this because I own a PT 99 style gun, a Taurs. Don't carry this gun cocked & locked. Drop the hammer to half cock, and fire the first shot as DA, and the following shots as SA.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010