Semi auto shotgun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by duane5157, May 10, 2010.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I am a firm believer in making a loud noise that will let the criminal intruder know that you are serious and prepared to defend you life and property. I think the noise should be "BANG", though, and not "rack-rack".

I do see where you are coming from, with the "scare the 17-year-old punk away, instead of killing him". His death isn't on your conscience.

But, let's just hypothesize, for a moment. David Berkowitz, between July '76 and August '77, did eight shootings, shooting 13 people, and killing six of them. So, let's say (hypothetical) that between shooting #3 and shooting #4, he was trying another one, and was scared off, for some reason. Cop car came along, there were too many people with the intended victim, whatever. Something scared him off, so that victim did not get killed. He went on, however, to kill five more people and wound four others. If, instead of scaring him away at intended shooting #4, he had been killed, then nine people would not have been shot.

Just something to think about, when someone suggests that it's better to scare the burglar off. He's got the balls to break into my house in the middle of the night. Now, maybe he ain't got the balls to stand up to me and my dog and my 12 gauge, but what if he had broke into the house across the street, with the 80-year-old lady that lives alone?
  2. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

Alpo,

Good point never thought about it like that.

Regards
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Semi-auto shotgun? One word...Saiga;):p:D Man, I need to get me one of those:D:D:D
  4. bikeryoda

bikeryoda New Member

I also don't want the intruder knowing where I am... And personally I believe that everyone has to eat the consequences of their actions. If someone has the nerve to break into my house then they better have the nerve to meet their end. I have a Saiga-12 for my HD and keep it loaded with 00 buck... I would choose a semi auto over a pump any day simply because of the speed at which you can fire, and with the Saiga reloading is just as fast.

And call me a mall ninja but I've also got a Chaos PorkyPine bayonette in case the intruder miraculously makes it past the lead hahaha...
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I don't think you would be unhappy with a Saiga.
    That is what my house shotgun is.

When I said I would take that bet, it is because I have shot the Saiga in competition. We have some guys that are pretty darn good/fast with their pump shotguns. But when put up against a Saiga for speed of both shooting and reloading, pumps tend to fall short.

If comparing two men, both having equal experience with their shotguns. I would like to see the one using a pump, that can load 12 - 20 rounds, quicker than the one inserting a single magazine or drum.

There is a reason that IPSC classified the Saiga as an "open" class shotgun.
    Even for going up against other semi-autos. ;)
  6. doug66

doug66 New Member

Exactly what I was thinking, Carver.

When I'm in the woods, deer huntin'. I need to see the animal before it sees me. So I will have time to flick off the safety, without it getting so close it get hear me do it. My point is, in close quarters you better have the drop on whatever u r shooting at.

IMO u can't go wrong with Rem. 870 or 1100.
  7. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm a Saiga 12 guy myself. IMO; the BEST tactical HD shotgun available. Although, I do think AA (or sombody) makes a "Bull Pup" semi-12 that I would like to have.

I also agree with EVERYTHING Pinecone, Carver, Old Grump and Alpo have stated!

I've been a victim of TWO "home" invasions and I can tell you having to rack the slide 1st is NOT a good idea!

IMHO: the BG(s) should only here ONE thing: BANG!!

If some of our more liberal friends wish to warn them and yell "GET OUT of MY HOUSE!" Then by all means, feel free to do so.

But IMHO, depending on the "sound" of a slide being racked to scare off the BG(s) is a "fools" folly brought to us by Hollywierd.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  8. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

A pump shotgun, to me, equals reliability. As has been said some autos are sensitive to certain ammo. A pump shotgun will shoot it if you get it into the chamber. Same thing for the auto IF the mechanism will feed the shell. A light load in a pump gun will work if the person does their job. But in an autoloader that same shell is a jam.
  9. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Former Guest

Another word: Benelli. I've been trying to find a Benelli M3 Super 90 for 3 years. No one around me carries them, or will order one without me putting the full amount up front. I'm not putting that much money down until I see the gun. I don't mind a quarter or so, but not all.
  10. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

Benelli is running a factory rebate now on their tactical shotguns.

Might just be enough to persuade me.

See:

http://www.benelliusa.com/promos/index.php
  11. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

never give away your position and also pump action is more reliable than semi-auto