1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Semi MP40s

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Kestral, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Kestral

Kestral Member

There is a Co in Germany producing MP 40 Schmeissers in semi-auto only,These are marketed by Frankonia.Wurzburg.pic enclosed if I can get it to work.Kestral

Attached Files:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hm, Interesting.

I would think they will appeal to a very small market. The MP40s had problems with sticky mag's (Turn and shake) and they did not like dirt. Though I have to admit stripping them was a breeze.

If someone wants a practical 9mm carbine, there are several good modern ones to choose from. There are the WW2 enthusiasts, but I think they will get bored real quick without the full auto. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2008
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

more fun to build a sten gun. parts kits minue the receiver tube can still be had. and receiver tubes are no problem to make. :)
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Tranter, please explain your "sticky mag" comment. I have had one for 5 years now, and it has always been a fine gun. Pain in the butt to load, with them single-feed magazines. I have only ever had it to the range - never taken it to war so I don't know about how it would work in a dirty environment. If I ever have to go to war, I believe I'll take the MP5. Smaller, lighter, newer (by 45 years) and I know where all of its magazines are. :) I can only find two of the MP40's and can't find the magazine loader. :( Reckon I need to clean up my gun room.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have limited experience with MP40s but when being shown how to use and maintain them I was told they can suffer from the rounds not feeding smoothly along the magazine, thus the bolt goes forward on an empty chamber while rounds remain. I was also told the cure was to turn the gun on its side and give it a good shake to loosen the jam.

Also they had a reputation for not standing up well to dirt. Interestingly you can see WW2 film of Germans in Russia who are all using PPsh 41s. In Europe the Germans made a copy of our STEN.

I must say, and this is personal, I never liked 9mm carbines and when using one felt under armed. Given the choice I would go for a 5.56mm in a carbine, despite the danger of over penetration. I use 9mm but admit it is a pretty poor cartridge.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2008
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I just came up with a great theory as to why there might be feeding problems. Everyone (and I mean everyone - real life, television, movies) that I have seen shooting an MP40 is using the magazine as a foregrip. I hold mine (and teach anyone I let shoot it to hold mine) on the hump, at the takedown screw, like it was a rifle. I've never had any type of feeding problems.
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I dont think thats it, I think it's the geometry of the design. like a lot of German guns of WW2, they were almost too well made with very fine tolerances.

You have a point about the hump though. I remember they do have long grooves, so I guess thats where the designers wanted the forward hand to go. Is yours a 38 (ribbed body) or 40 (Smooth tube)?

It is never recommend with any SMG to hold the mag, though many seem to.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

40. Wilkerson tube gun. Built by Erma in 1942, I believe (being positive would require me getting up off my butt and going to the safe, getting it out and looking at the date. Entirely too much work. :) )
  9. ehughes

ehughes New Member

i think the dirt issues came from the open bolt position mostly
  10. crazy charlie

crazy charlie New Member

Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!

Attached Files: