Semi MP40s

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Kestral, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Kestral

Kestral Member

There is a Co in Germany producing MP 40 Schmeissers in semi-auto only,These are marketed by Frankonia.Wurzburg.pic enclosed if I can get it to work.Kestral

Attached Files:

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hm, Interesting.

I would think they will appeal to a very small market. The MP40s had problems with sticky mag's (Turn and shake) and they did not like dirt. Though I have to admit stripping them was a breeze.

If someone wants a practical 9mm carbine, there are several good modern ones to choose from. There are the WW2 enthusiasts, but I think they will get bored real quick without the full auto. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2008
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

more fun to build a sten gun. parts kits minue the receiver tube can still be had. and receiver tubes are no problem to make. :)
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Tranter, please explain your "sticky mag" comment. I have had one for 5 years now, and it has always been a fine gun. Pain in the butt to load, with them single-feed magazines. I have only ever had it to the range - never taken it to war so I don't know about how it would work in a dirty environment. If I ever have to go to war, I believe I'll take the MP5. Smaller, lighter, newer (by 45 years) and I know where all of its magazines are. :) I can only find two of the MP40's and can't find the magazine loader. :( Reckon I need to clean up my gun room.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have limited experience with MP40s but when being shown how to use and maintain them I was told they can suffer from the rounds not feeding smoothly along the magazine, thus the bolt goes forward on an empty chamber while rounds remain. I was also told the cure was to turn the gun on its side and give it a good shake to loosen the jam.

Also they had a reputation for not standing up well to dirt. Interestingly you can see WW2 film of Germans in Russia who are all using PPsh 41s. In Europe the Germans made a copy of our STEN.

I must say, and this is personal, I never liked 9mm carbines and when using one felt under armed. Given the choice I would go for a 5.56mm in a carbine, despite the danger of over penetration. I use 9mm but admit it is a pretty poor cartridge.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2008
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I just came up with a great theory as to why there might be feeding problems. Everyone (and I mean everyone - real life, television, movies) that I have seen shooting an MP40 is using the magazine as a foregrip. I hold mine (and teach anyone I let shoot it to hold mine) on the hump, at the takedown screw, like it was a rifle. I've never had any type of feeding problems.
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I dont think thats it, I think it's the geometry of the design. like a lot of German guns of WW2, they were almost too well made with very fine tolerances.

You have a point about the hump though. I remember they do have long grooves, so I guess thats where the designers wanted the forward hand to go. Is yours a 38 (ribbed body) or 40 (Smooth tube)?

It is never recommend with any SMG to hold the mag, though many seem to.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

40. Wilkerson tube gun. Built by Erma in 1942, I believe (being positive would require me getting up off my butt and going to the safe, getting it out and looking at the date. Entirely too much work. :) )
  9. ehughes

ehughes New Member

i think the dirt issues came from the open bolt position mostly
  10. crazy charlie

crazy charlie New Member

Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!

Attached Files: