Senate “Deal” GOA Alert

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 22WRF, Mar 6, 2013.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Senate “Deal” Would Impose
    Even More Gun Bans
    Gifts, gun raffles and multiple sales of guns would be effectively banned

Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee will mark up four bills arising out of the Newtown tragedy:

* The Feinstein bill — which would ban millions of shotguns, rifles, handguns and magazines that Americans can legally own -- but which will probably die on the Senate floor.

* The universal gun registry — which may also die on the Senate floor — unless a last-minute deal with Sen. Tom Coburn brings it to life.

* Legislation by Barbara Boxer, which throws away $100,000,000 on school safety studies, but doesn’t immediately mention guns.

* And, currently the biggest danger, the Leahy-Gillibrand-Kirk bill, which has ominously been labeled a “gun trafficking” bill.

In regard to this latter piece of legislation (S. 443), the bill is being sold inside the Beltway as a bipartisan “compromise” because anti-gun Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL) is a cosponsor of it.

But S. 443 would dramatically threaten to put gun owners in jail with horrendously long sentences for the most minor of infractions.

Essentially, the bill would impose a 15-year prison sentence for “negligent multiple sales by a dealer,” “negligent gifting” or “negligent raffling.”

Increasingly, there are more and more individuals who are “prohibited persons” for non-violent reasons — for instance, they smoke marijuana or they are military veterans suffering from maladies such as PTSD.

But if S. 443 is passed, any person who sells to such prohibited persons two or more firearms ... or gives them a firearm as a gift ... or raffles a firearm (where they are the recipient) ... does so only at the considerable risk of spending 15 years in a federal penitentiary.

You don’t need to know the person is a prohibited person under either example. Nor does the recipient need to know they’re a prohibited person.

In fact, you don’t need to do anything more than plan (“conspire”) to transfer the gun. In addition, the recipient doesn’t need to be on the NICS list to be a prohibited person.

Not only that, under section 4 of the bill, if you even “intend” to sell a firearm to a person who turns out to be a marijuana smoker — or one of the prohibited military veterans suffering from PTSD — you become a prohibited person yourself.

When all is said and done, this bipartisan “compromise” is as bad as the Feinstein gun ban (S. 150).
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

Bi-partisan ought to be a dirty word. If it's a compromise, watch out. The ones being compromised will be you and me
  3. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

What is the deal with Coburn?
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

S. 443 goes hand in glove with the philosophy of the proposed UN Arms Trade Treaty that will be in the news again in a week or so. http://www.un.org/disarmament/

And the official position of the US on the above Arms Trade Treaty: http://www.state.gov/t/isn/armstradetreaty/

A key component of the above ATT is a registry to track ownership of all small arms. Guess what?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Remember the health care bill that was passed by the senate? Same things going to happen with gun control. No Republican will be allowed to vote on this one either, be ready.
  6. rimmer1

rimmer1 Member

You better start loading those High capacity magazines and swab the oil out of those barrels.
  7. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Member

I was just mentioning this to the wife...she strongly suggested if there's ANY other firearms I want, I better get them now. She was referring to a $3500 rifle. Lordy.
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

so if a prohibited person is not on nics.. and the dealer doens't know they are prohibited.. and the buyer lies on the 4473 where it asks if they are an illegal user of drugs..e tc.

how's that the dealers fault?
  9. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Remember the primary reviewer of gun sales is the ATF. This is the same bunch that has gone after gun dealers for putting MS in the tiny state hole instead of Mississippi....which cannot fit.
  10. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

The exact same way as if your own a store that sells booze, and you sell to an underage person, even if that person has a perfect looking fake id, you still get WHACKED. The guy with the fake id might get a $50 fine. You the store owner get your liquor license suspended and pay thousands in fines. I know this from personal experience.
  11. soundguy

sounds like some public officials need to be out of a job...
  12. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

So, I guess they marked up that kirk bill, I just got off the phone bitchin at Murkowski & Begich's office, they claim they ain't voting for it; ya right. Boy, I sure hope this doesn't get passed through the Senate, but my better judgment says just wait and see it does. Probably all die in the house hopefully.
  13. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Knew a dealer back in the '70s who came within an ace of losing his license, maybe worse, because he'd sold an M1 carbine to a guy who'd presented all the proper ID, filled out the 4473, and after taking the carbine home had cut the barrel and stock to the point it resembled one of the old Universal Enforcer pistols. Eventually he was caught with this thing. The topping on the cake was he was also a convicted felon and had purchased the rifle illegally. ATF put the dealer through all sorts of hoops on that one, and eventually wrote it up as a "nonwillful violation" without any penalties being levied.
  14. soundguy

presumably nics would catch that now.

as for the enforcer pistols. I see them now and again at gun shows, and love the 30 carbine and it's cartridge.. but have been too shy to buy one of the universal enforcer pistols for the very same reason.. how do i know some yeehaw didn't take and mi carb rifle and cut it/mock/mark it up and make an illegal SBR and sell it as a pistol.. etc...
  15. soundguy

ps.. an updates on any of the gun legislation. i hear some stuff was suposed to be looked at today..
  16. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The people debating our fate, even the ones supposedly on our side, don't even know the law or proposed laws under discussion. Sen. Cornyn wanted an amendment to exclude military members and veterans from the proposed legislation. When Feinstein brought up the PTSD issue, Cornyn said vets with PTSD were already prohibited from owning firearms, which is not true. But by thinking that it was, he more or less accepted that prohibition. More importantly, why should veterans, retired military, and retired police officers be permitted to enjoy any more God given and constitutionally protected freedoms than any other citizens? A compromise with the devil is still evil. These republicans will throw us under the bus as they care only about keeping their jobs.
  17. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Press release from Sen. Cornyn

http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/public...ecord_id=18dea272-a50c-4fb0-ba01-a3ebab8c836b
  18. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

19. RifleHawk

RifleHawk Member

Hellinois,Land of Leavin,just outside Crook County
    I don't care what "laws" they pass...I'm a free man.... I will NOT be a subject!