Sent this to my state Senator & Rep.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtnboomer, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Came up with this after hearing about the gun grabs in New Orleans;

Oklahoma Disaster Self-Protection Act

The citizens of the state of Oklahoma shall have the inalienable right to protect themselves, their families, property, and that of others, at the onset, duration and aftermath of any large-scale disaster, be it natural or man-made. They shall have the right to use any legal and socially acceptable means to accomplish this task. These means may include, but are not limited to, non-lethal and lethal force, within legal parameters, as they deem necessary to the situation.

No law enforcement (local, county or state) or military (state or federal) entity shall have, or be granted, the ability to impound, confiscate or seize any legally owned weapon or device from any law-abiding citizen engaged in the legal act of defending themselves, their family or property, or that of others. The sole exemption is any person(s) openly expressing violent, threatening or dangerous actions to themselves or the surrounding individuals. These entities shall, if this act is violated, become legally responsible for any damage or loss of property or life incurred as a result.

The State of Oklahoma shall agree to forego any prosecution of any citizen(s) who, while within their legal rights, may injure, maim or kill any other person(s) while defending themselves, their family or property, or that of others. The person(s) so injured or maimed, or the families of said person(s), shall not have the legal ability to seek retribution or punitive damages from any person, organization or government body, as the damages received were incurred during the perpetration of a crime or other illegal activity.

Sent it with a copy of this letter;

The Honorable ----------------:

Dear --------------,

Enclosed you will find a copy of a proposal of a law I believe who’s time has come to address.

Given the recent events in post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans I was appalled to read and hear about Oklahoma National Guard troops, among others, seizing legally owned firearms from storm-ravaged residents in that besieged city. These citizens were guilty of nothing more trying to protect themselves and what little remains of their property from roaming bands of looters, rapists and murderers. These poor people had no law enforcement protection and had to rely on their own resources to survive. That protection is now gone, the devices that kept the criminal element at bay, ripped from their frightened hands and then left to their own fates. This is, at least, unacceptable: at most, a cold, callous and merciless act.

You, as well as all Oklahoma residents, know about our famous tornadoes. You have seen and felt their fury and destructive powers. Are we the next “New Orleans” waiting to happen? With our large rural population and dense urban areas, a massive storm spawning multiple huge tornadoes, the possibility of widespread, massive destruction and hundreds of thousands of stranded residents is quite real. The people of Oklahoma, as you are aware, are a very resourceful, self-reliant and proud breed. We will defend ourselves, our families and property against anyone or anything. Would we be forcibly stripped of this right by those who care little about us or our feelings? I believe this subject must be addressed immediately for the sake of all Oklahomans who may, sometime in the future, face the destructive powers of both Man and Nature.

Sincerely,

Perhaps my fellow Okies will copy this and send it to their state congressional members as well - and those of you from other states may want to rewrite it and do the same in your respective states.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  2. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

This part will be the first to be stripped off the bill if it makes it out of committee.

I've been giving this some thought, too. I can't believe that the Mayor would have the audacity to order confiscations. I guess he has never read the Constitution.

I'll be drafting something similar for my representatives.

Good job. Hopefully this will catch on.
  3. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

altered version sent to Michigan represenatives...

Michigan Disaster Self-Protection Act

The citizens of the state of Michigan shall have the inalienable and indisputable right to protect themselves, their families, property, and that of others, at the onset, duration and aftermath of any large-scale disaster, be it natural or man-made. They shall have the right to use any legal means to accomplish this task. These means may include, but are not limited to, non-lethal and lethal force, within legal parameters, as they deem necessary to the situation.

No law enforcement (local, county or state) or military (state or federal) entity shall have, or be granted, the ability to impound, confiscate or seize any legally owned weapon or device from any law-abiding citizen engaged in the legal act of defending themselves, their family or property, or that of others. The sole exception is any person(s) openly expressing violent, threatening or dangerous actions to themselves or other individuals. Any official ordering, or executing an order to confiscate personal defense implements will be guilty of a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in a state correctional facility, $25,000 fine or both.

No citizen may be prosecuted who, while within their legal rights, injures, maims or kills any other person(s) while defending themselves, their family or property, or that of others.

No person or their family who, while in the commission of a felony, is injured, or killed by a citizen legally defending his/her life, family, property, or other innocents may sue said citizen for damages resulting from injuries (or death) sustained as a direct result of criminal activity.
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Nice effort, but I think it's probably a waste of time. In an "emergency situation", they will suspend the Constitution (both State and Federal) as well as all existing laws. So even though you have laws written to protect your rights, as well as Constitutional guarantees of those rights, it won't matter. They will suspend all of it.
  5. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

So I guess we should just throw up our hands and surrender.
  6. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

No, we should start shooting. ;)

I think our only real option at this point, short of revolution, is to petition Congress to resolve strongly that our Constitutional rights are absolute and cannot be suspended. The Constitution allows no one to suspend our rights, yet somehow our government thinks that it's within their powers. We need Congress to declare that our rights are unalienable and untouchable, even in a crisis.

Unfortunately, that'll never happen. We're quickly headed toward a civil war or a revolution, and I don't see anything that can stop it. The more they clamp down, the madder it makes us and the closer we get to that inevitability.
  7. HiPowerKid

HiPowerKid New Member

Let's not forget that some of those "authorities" who were doing the confiscating of firearms and "knocking" on doors are Dutch troops sent over to help out our beleagured and spread-thin-throughout-the-world troops. Do you think the foreign troops will give a rat's #$@ about our Constitution and our protected liberties? Don't forget about the armed Mexican soldiers that Mr. Fox so helpfully sent over also. Usually when the armed Mexican authorities come over they encroach our border, shoot at and chase some of our border patrol agents while our agents were outnumbered. Thanks for the help Vincente! Tangent rant off :mad:
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

We are fortunate the Dutch boys aren't wearing "Blue" helmets while they were "helping out" our troops.

I'm getting that "wet leg--tell me it's raining feeling" again.
  9. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I was shocked!!! My state Senator actually called me on the telephone to talk about my letter! He sounded like he was genuinely enthusiastic about it, said he was talking to other senators about it and wanted to act on it. How 'bout that? :eek:
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

The next time he calls you please ask him to call some of the Fl. Senators and tell them about it.
    I have to agree with 1952Sniper we are headed down a nasty road and need to find a couple of right turns so we can get back on track, before it is to late.
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Keep us advised on any further progress.
  12. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

That's good news, mtnboomer!