1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Seperated Case Removal

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Duke, Jan 20, 2012.

1. JohnRich

JohnRich New Member

I'm sure you realize the lesson in this story: Always always always have a stuck case extractor tool with you for the caliber you're shooting, especially if it's reloads in old brass that has been fired numerous times. One stuck case can ruin a whole day of planned shooting. I have a broken shell extractor for every caliber I shoot, and keep them in a tool box that goes with me when I shoot. Every once in a while it saves the day. And even though I use them only rarely on my own guns, they can also be used to help save a friend's day of shooting.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It is a good idea that JohnRich offers but......

Over the last 25 years I have had more than a few case separations. I do not own one shell extractor. In every case a tight brush pushed in from the breech and reversed has worked to extract the remainder of the cases. So I carry cleaning brushes and a sectional cleaning rod in my range kit. It works for me.

Also I almost never take just one gun. I "plan" that one of the guns I take will fail so the trip will not be lost if the planned shooting has to stop. I broke that rule just last week and got burned (red dot failed before the first shot). So I went to the range and never fired a shot.

LDBennett