Seperated Case Removal

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Duke, Jan 20, 2012.

1. JohnRich

JohnRich New Member

I'm sure you realize the lesson in this story: Always always always have a stuck case extractor tool with you for the caliber you're shooting, especially if it's reloads in old brass that has been fired numerous times. One stuck case can ruin a whole day of planned shooting. I have a broken shell extractor for every caliber I shoot, and keep them in a tool box that goes with me when I shoot. Every once in a while it saves the day. And even though I use them only rarely on my own guns, they can also be used to help save a friend's day of shooting.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It is a good idea that JohnRich offers but......

Over the last 25 years I have had more than a few case separations. I do not own one shell extractor. In every case a tight brush pushed in from the breech and reversed has worked to extract the remainder of the cases. So I carry cleaning brushes and a sectional cleaning rod in my range kit. It works for me.

Also I almost never take just one gun. I "plan" that one of the guns I take will fail so the trip will not be lost if the planned shooting has to stop. I broke that rule just last week and got burned (red dot failed before the first shot). So I went to the range and never fired a shot.

LDBennett