Serial Numbers on revolvers

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by patticake1973, Jan 14, 2007.

1. patticake1973

patticake1973 New Member

This past year, I have been learning how to shoot. I have a friend that has taken me out to a range several times. I really enjoy it!

He has purchased a new revolver with a serial number that begins with cfc. Can anyone tell me what kind of revolver he has purchased? The only clues that he has given me leads me to believe that it is a Ruger, Smith & Wesson or Sig and that it is a .22 or .45. I ruled out the Sig. He bet me dinner that I could not find out what type of firearm that he purchased.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I'm gonna move this to the Ask the Pros forum. Some of our experts should be able to point you in the right direction.
  3. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Wellcome patticake!! More info is needed. Any other markings? Can you post a picture?
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I doubt anyone can tell you the make of revolver from the information given. There is no pattern or requirement for serial numbers. Gun makers can use anything they want, as long as each serial number is unique to that company.

Larger companies often use a letter-number combination for serial numbers.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Patticake.....welcome to TFF! :)

It's a Smith & Wesson made after October 2000.

S&W started marking their revolvers with a 3-letter, 4-digit code in 1980.

Can't tell you the Model or Caliber....caliber would be marked on the barrel, Model number will be marked on the crane.