Series 3 Colt Match Target (photo heavy)

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by oldobie, Feb 19, 2010.

1. oldobie

oldobie New Member

Just a little background on me. I started collecting 1911 Clones, then moved to old Colts (45,38,25's) so it just seem natural to find a old Colt (1963) in 22 cal to shoot.
    Anyway, I found this Colt Match Target in pretty good shape for its age and bought it today. Pictures below are from seller on the auction site.
    I should arrive at my door later next week.
    There seems to be only one "little" problem with this pistol, seems someone had a "Shriners" symbol engraved on it. I really don't care because I am going to shoot it.
    I just wanted to share some photo's of it. We all like photo's don't we?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the "dreaded" Shriner symbol!
    [​IMG]

As you can see it is actually in excellent condition.
    How much does the "Symbol" hurt its value.
    I paid less than $700 for it, so how did I do? Includes 2 magazines
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have owned a number of the colt match target pistols..........i can see from the photos that there is some roughness here and there but it is still worth the money....as far as the emblem it will not effect the value any more than the condition it is already in.enjoy your colt,they are excellant shooters old semperfi
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I do not know why the symbol is dreaded. The Shriners help out many people in their hospitals who have medical problems free of charge. The engraving appears to be nicely done. Maybe finding out who put it on will add some Historical value to it, more so than it does now! I like the gun, goodluck with your Colt. BTW, I am a Shriner.:D
  4. oldobie

oldobie New Member

mrt,
    I didn't mean anything bad about the Shriners.
    The Shriners do great work all across the country, but in this case I think the symbol engraved on the pistol lowers its value as a collectors piece.
    I purchased the pistol as a Shooter, if I was going to use it as part of my collection I probably would have passed on it and found one without any other marks, but the ones Colt themselves put on the pistol.
    It's like having a pistol where someone engraves their name on it. If it isn't someone "important" or "historical" it usually lowers the value as a collectors piece.
    BTW Thanks for the work you do as a Shriner.

Jim.....aka.............Old Obie
  5. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I understand,I myself like it. It would more than likely loose some value To me, it says something far greater than a name, but that's me, my wife knows I am weird. Enjoy and take care.:D

Cliff Tomassian