Series 70 quit today

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/17/02 6:05:30 pm)
    Reply Series 70 quit today
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had the trusty old girl out today and put about 200 rounds thru her. Towards the end the slide quit going all the way forward after each shot. It was gummed up so bad that it was even hard to work by hand.

I am an expert at working things by hand so this surprised me:LOL

Took it home and found the thing was so filled with gunk and grime I could not believe it. It was clean when I started.

I was shooting the buld .45ACP ammo Cabelas sells. Is it just dirty ammo or the gun oil I use attracting dirt and powder residue?

I use Birchwood Casey gun oil and The Browning gun oil both of them in the spray cans.

Maybe I am overoiling the gun. I just put some on a rag and wipe everything.

Gun works fine now that I cleaned it.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/17/02 6:52:03 pm)
    Re: Series 70 quit today
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WP,

Could be either or a combo of both, is the lube you
    are using oil or of synthetic substance?

I stopped using oil years ago and went to a synthetic
    lube with much better results and really no more gunk.

Just my .02
    TFF VMBB Contact Admin

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/17/02 6:54:12 pm)
    Reply Re: Series 70 quit today
    I have both types. I do not remember what I put one it last time I cleaned it.

I will stick to synthetic and see if it happens again.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/17/02 6:58:51 pm)
    Re: Series 70 quit today
    Yeah, if I were you I'd put the oil to other uses and
    strictly use a synthetic.
    TFF VMBB Contact Admin

bg
    (3/17/02 7:34:37 pm)
    I too had a problem with function until I changed over to "Break Free" lube.I thought I was over-oiling it too until I tried the above.Now the only thing that doesn't fuction just right is me.I fire Federal,Wolff,Remington,American Eagle,and some other stuff and I had lock-up problems after about 400 to 500 rounds.Not anymore with Break Free.Hope this helps
    bg

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/17/02 8:30:53 pm)
    Did you run a dry patch thru the barrel to clean out the oil before firing ?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/18/02 6:13:01 am)
    No I did not.

WINCOLT
    (3/24/02 12:26:25 pm)
    warpig...................Send it to me and I will clean it and let it mingle with my 1911's. Of course you could visit it anytime.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/24/02 2:46:23 pm)
    WinColt

I have it co-mingling in the safe sourounded by Brownings.

I placed it so the Browning name was facing the pistol with the knoledge that the spirit of john Moses Browning lives on in all the fine weapons bearing his name.

I think the dilema is that the Colt while a JMB invention has lost touch with its roots and it just needed a little kinship from it's cousins.

As we speak there are gobs of JMB magic soaking into the old girl right now. She should be good for many more years.

I am willing to give the same treatment to any of your firearms that may be ailing. Send me an e-mail and I will reply with my shipping address