service revolver questions

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Darla so Dreadly
    (3/28/02 2:32:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All service revolver questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm hoping y'all can answer my questions...

I inherited my grandfather's service revolver when he passed away a few months ago. He was in the Florida Highway Patrol; retired in 1978 and had been in the FHP for something like 30 years or so.

It is a S & W .38, double action revolver, that much is sure.. but I've shown it to several folks, trying to figure out what I should do with it, it has some rust and stuff on it and I want to get it worked on.

I need to find out if it's a model 10 or a model 3. Folks I've shown the weapon to haven't been able to tell, and if it's a model 3, it's really valuable just the way it is and I don't want to mess with it.

Not looking to sell it, because it's very sentimental, but want to keep it in good repair.

I can scan in an image of the gun if you like an e-mail it to you, I just don't have anywhere that will host the images for everyone to be able to see the pictures on the forum.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by: Darla so Dreadly at: 3/28/02 2:33:00 pm

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 5:14:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: service revolver questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you're sure it's either a 10 or 3, and this was his service revolver, it would be a Model 10. The Model 3 is a very old single action and he sure wouldn't have been carrying one of those from '58 to '78.

Actually, I'm surprised to hear that he carried a service revolver in .38 Special. I thought the FHP carried .357 Magnum in that time period.....I know that Florida Game Wardens did.

In any event, when you take it to a gunsmith to get it worked on, he'll be able to tell you what it is.