Setting up land for Disabled Hunters

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by john_bud, Jun 10, 2011.

1. john_bud

john_bud Member

Hello,

I have some land and would like to set it up to allow those with mobility impairments to once again enjoy the outdoors and experience the thrill of hunting. Given the duration of armed conflicts our military has been engaged in, there are a significant number of wounded soldiers. I would like to focus on vets with disabilities, but would be open to others as well.

But... I'm not sure what to do. There will be some expense involved, I was thinking about setting up a non-profit to help. It looks like a 503 (c) would be the right thing (yes?). If so, what resources are available? I don't want to spend all the budget on boring legal stuff! But aside from the financial aspect, I don't know what to do to make the property accessible and enjoyable by those with mobility impairments. Are there any online resources on setting up trails for wheel chairs? Designing ground blinds, etc ?

All help greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God Bless!
    jb
  2. Mark Cline

Mark Cline New Member

This sounds like a great idea. I'm sure there are some groups out there that would be more than willing to help you help others.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

would the vfw help?
  4. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Check out National Turkey Federation and your messages i sent you a message and i will answer or try to help anyway that i can
  5. john_bud

john_bud Member

I'll have to see. I would hope that they would at least be willing to pass along information.

Lapua Kid - I sent you an email. Thanks. Will also pop over to the NTF.
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Pending on the type of mobility issues you are talking about here, but there is companies out there that make powerchairs for rough contry(Within Reason I mean). So with that in mind I would say mabbe in vest in a couple of them and cut trails out that can be used by them. Here is the links to a couple that I looked over for my father.

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/wheelchairs/power/tracabout/index.html

The Vikeing and the Trackabout are the two I looked into the most, The Vikeing has the most power but the track about is the most stable. Hope this helps
  7. john_bud

john_bud Member

Thanks for the links. But at 10,000 each I think I can make the trails accessable for lesser quality chairs for the same or less $$. You can buy a LOT of gravel for 10,000 dollars!
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

OOOOOOWEEEEEEE. I didnt dig deep enough to see the price. I do apologize for that. I knew them powerchairs were high but not 10grand high, Like I said I do apologize.
  9. john_bud

john_bud Member

No problem! I appreciate the time and effort to provide the link. It does show what a good trail is worth.
  10. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

have you contacted the NRA? they used to help out some if you are willing to allow NRA events for the disabled shooters.

also check some local businesses like Lowes and Home Deopt for lumber and pine chips donations, wally world for targets, local gun shop for sponsership and such.

also some of the power chair companys to see if they might have a destribitor who mignt be interested in helping out!

and of course the firearms manufactures themselves!
  11. SFC

SFC New Member

Do not know where you are located, also what would the hunting license cost for out of state hunters, or are they free to disabled 100% veterans.

Here in Arizona we already have hunting for the disabled veterans at no cost for residents of Arizona. We are allowed to take any one person with us to track the game, we can hunt from the road, car, or where ever we feel comfortable. This is for Bow, Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun.

Your idea sounds terrific and I hope it all works out for this great idea, although check with your local fish and game, or forest rangers for the local laws and an attorney for your liability risks.