Several guns I inherited (Marlin 39A, CZ Duo...)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by LeSabreUltra, Apr 25, 2007.

1. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

..and I'm interested in knowing the value of them, as well as more information about a couple. I'm not really interested in selling, but I'd just like to know for the heck of it.

First one is this, a 1960 Marlin Golden Mountie 39A. Probably the most accurate gun I have ever fired. Serial number begins with a T.

[​IMG]

It's a little tarnished but otherwise in very good shape, at least to me. I think a good cleaning would fix that. Wood is in excellent condition, no rust, etc. Fires very well.

[​IMG]

My grandfather added silver "trim" (for lack of a better word) to either side. They're a bit tarnished, but with polish should shine well.

This next one has a little bit of history behind it. My grandfather captured it off of an Italian officer in Sicily during WWII. It's a "Duo", manufactured in 1942. It's in good condition and I have fired it several times and found it to be in great working order.

[​IMG]

These next two I have absolutely no clue about. Niether have any markings on them whatsoever. They both appear to be very old, though.

Starting with this one:

[​IMG]

It looks very genuine, whatever it is. For the age it appears to be, I'd say it's in good shape. It's still holding together and the hammer and trigger both work as they should. The wood is very worn with age, but not scuffed or cracked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's very ornate.

This next one my grandfather had hanging on the wall for many years. It appears to be in excellent shape for it's age, everything moves and works perfectly though I have not fired it. It's a little clunky feeling but I think that is just due to the old design, perhaps. The wood is in great shape as are the metal parts, no rust is present.

[​IMG]

Not any markings to be found, though.

[​IMG]

If any of you could give me the approximate value of these, as well as anything you may know about the last two, it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That last one is a pot-metal wall-hanger almost-copy of a Winchester 66. A non-gun. They sell new for 100 to 150, depending on where you get it at.
  3. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Ah, thanks. I had a suspicion about that one being in as good of shape as it's in, considering the supposed age. Oh well, I was going to do pretty much what he did and hang it on the wall anyway.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi LeSabreUltra.....welcome to TFF. :)

Blue Book value on your Mountie 39A (% = amount of original finish left):

98% - $400
    95% - $350
    90% - $300
    80% - $250

The small pistol is a copy of the FN "Baby Browning" Model 1906 and the caliber is 6.35mm (the same cartridge as .25 ACP). I can't quite make out all the markings, so if you'll tell us all of the markings, EXACTLY as they're written and any proofmarks, we can probably tell you where it was made.

Value would be in the $75 to $100 range.

On the old flintlock pistol.....looks to be original and probably dates to the 1700s or early 1800s. Any writing or markings?
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your CZ Duo is a collectible WWII pistol. The date of manufacture, "42" is stamped on the left side. Many Germans carried these as little "hide out" pistols. The bought them privately, as they were not official issue. It would have been highly unusual to find one in the possession of an Italian, as the Italians had no opportunity to buy one of these. They were usually bought by German military personnel who were stationed in Czechoslovakia, particularly in the city of Prague, and also by the many soldiers who went to Prague on R&R, since this was really a fun city to visit. I wonder if the Italian got the pistol from a German, or maybe your grandfather actually took it from a German? Don't forget, there were plenty of them stationed in Italy. Incidentally, they sell for $250 to $350, depending on condition, even more if an original holster and spare mag are included.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  6. LeSabreUltra

LeSabreUltra New Member

Aha, thank you both for the information and welcome!

As for the Duo, the markings on the left side read "AUTOMAT. PISTOLE "DUO" CAL 635"
    Directly underneath that is marked "F. DUSEK, OPOTSCHNO"

Then right over to the side of that toward the rear of the gun, is a stylized "N" with what appears to be an upright standing animal in the middle. And under that, as wonderwhippet said, is the number "42" for date of manufacture.

On the other side is the serial number 38210, and of course it says "Duo" on either grip.

I do know for certain that he captured it off of an officer in Sicily...and I'm almost positive he said an Italian officer. I could be mistaken though, as it was many years ago that he told me this. It's also possible that he had remembered wrong, as he captured many guns during WWII and could have gotten it slightly mixed up.

As for the flintlock, on further inspection I DID find a marking. On the hammer, there is a "D" plus what appears to be writing (it could just be pitting or chips) immediately in front of it.

[​IMG]