Several older Colt and S&W revolvers

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DFW65, Aug 14, 2006.

1. DFW65

DFW65 New Member

Several older Colt and S&W revolvers **PICTURE**

Have inherited these from my father and was wondering about how old each is and what value they have.

Have two Colt Agent revolvers. The first is ser.#223xxx and what looks like a -LW just below the serial number. It has wood Colt small or slim grips that just cover the bottom of the grip but both front and backstrap are exposed. On the bottom left of the grip frame, just to the left of the grip alignment pin is stamped INS. Pistol is blued with some light pitting and no ejector shroud.

The second Colt Agent is almost identical. Its ser.#233xxx with also the -LW below the serial number. This one has nice wood grips that are a bit wider and covers the front strap and the bottom of the grip frame but the back strap is exposed. Grips are checkered but no logo or other markings. Also has INS stamped on the left side of the grip frame near the bottom. Pistol is blued with almost no pitting and no ejector shroud.

Next is a Colt Detective Special ser.#P598xxx with what looks like a 5 just below the serial number. This has a full ejector shroud. This one has a set of Pachmyer rubber grips. Has a raised L on the left side at the bottom of the grip frame. No pitting at all.

Also have a Smith & Wesson 38 Military & Police revolver. Actually the markings on the pistol are Smith & Wesson on the left side of the barrel and 38 S&W Special CTG on the right side of the barrel with the S&W logo on the right side of the fram and the made in the USA, Marcas Registradas below the cylinder also on the right side. On the bottom of the grip frame it has C 160xxx but on the frame with the cylinder open it has a 1 with 94 4xx below that and 944xx on the crane with no space between the two fours. There is a pin thru the top strap/barrel. It has slim checkered S&W wood grips with the logo near the top of the grips and the front, back and bottom of the grip frame exposed. This one I have the original S&W gold colored cardboard box thats marked 38 Military & Police Revolver Blue Finish Square Butt 4-Inch Barrel. No pitting but the blue finish is not as nice and shiney as on the Colts listed above.

This is my first post and thought I'd make it interesting.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. DFW65

DFW65 New Member

Anyone???
  3. DFW65

DFW65 New Member

4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Hang in there, DFW65. Some of our folks have been out of pocket for a bit, but someone should be along soon to help you out. :)

In the meantime, check out some of out other forums. We always have room for more shooters!
  5. DFW65

DFW65 New Member

Thanks SoutherMoss.
    BTW, the other pistol is a US Revolver Co. something? Don't know what caliber as it isn't marked.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome DFW
    The 2 revolvers with Lw means Second issue In exc. shape your lookin at about $400 a piece in good shape you are looking at about $225
    The Detective is worth about $400 in exc. shape and about $300 in good shape.
    The S&W I can't help other than I know that the Police and Military Target Model did not have a 4 in but a 6 in barrel
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi DFW65.....welcome to TFF. :)

Both of your Agents were made in 1967.

Their Blue Book value is:

95% - $375
    90% - $275
    80% - $235
    70% - $180

Can't tell you when your Detective Spl. was made, since my list only goes up to 1978....and yours, being a Third Issue was made after that.

Value:

98% - $425
    95% - $400
    90% - $300
    80% - $260

Best I can do on your Smith M&P is that it was made sometime between 1948 and 1967.....Smith just didn't keep records as well as Colt did.

Value:

98% - $275
    95% - $210
    90% - $160
    80% - $130

The U.S. Revolver Co. was a cheaper brand line (if that's possible) of the already inexpensive Iver Johnson revolvers. Yours appears very similar to the Iver Johnson Model 1900.....which was made from 1900 to 1947.

Value:

95% - $70
    90% - $60
    80% - $55
    70% - $45

Given that this was a cheaper brand line ( :confused: ), it's probably worth a bit less. Probably make a nice paperweight though! :D
  8. DFW65

DFW65 New Member

Here is a couple of pics of the box. It isn't marked Target model.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If it is a basic model X's prices are right on