Several Questions, from an Idiot: Steel Casings

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Absolver5000, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Absolver5000

Absolver5000 New Member

Hi everyone, new here. I see this is the REloading forum but I don't want to REload I just want to load. I am 100% confident that reloading will result in me blowing my hand up. This is not a criticism of the practice of reloading, I'm just a devout believer in Murphy's law.

I would, however, really like to buy brand-spanking-new casings and load them myself. Both as a money-saver and as a hobby. Since I don't ever intend to reload my casings I want to go el cheapo and use steel but I can't for the life of me find them for sale.

I'm up against this .45 ACP buy TULAmmo (not sure if it's "Tula Ammo" or "Tul Ammo" I've seen it both ways) that I can get at a secret, undisclosed website for $14.19/50rd box (don't you dare go buy it all out of stock). That is a little more than $0.28/rd and the cheapest brass casings I have found are about $0.25 a piece. No way am I getting a bullet, powder and primer for 4 cents.

Any help?
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

Huh?

If you don't want to reload, yet want to shoot cheaply? Buy steel case and never look back. If you are asking if there is an economical way to buy all new components (cases included) every time you load a round? Short answer....No, there isn't. Reason? The economy gained by reloading comes from the fact that a single brass case can be reloaded many, many, many times.
  3. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Hi, and I'll say welcome to the forum. But, I must admit your post has me a bit confused. I have read it several times, and wonder if you are exchanging the word "Casings" for possibly "Cartridges"????

If you don't want to "Reload" then yes you could buy already manufactured "Cartridges" (casing, bullet, powder, primer) with steel cases and just shoot and forget them. But, if you want to "buy brand-spanking-new casings and load them myself"... you would need to buy Brass Casings and of course all the equipment and manuals and supplies and so forth to be able to do so... Even if it were possible to buy new steel cases to reload(which I don't believe it is), you would still need all the equipment and so forth, and it would not be cost effective at all.

So, perhaps you could expand a bit on what your intent actually is. :)
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

1. Only a select few have ever reloaded steel cases.

2. Steel is hard on your gun.

3. Your not gona find steel cases for .45 or for that matter i dont think your gona find steel period of cal. That is new to load up.

4. If you load them up from the get go you are only a couple of steps away from reloading spent cases.

Your only talking about removing the old primer, and maybe cleaning the cases if you want to.

Steel cased ammo is made to be cheap and should only be done by a factory with tools to constantly load steel cases.

I would simply buy cheap steel cased ammo or jump into reloading. Your not gona find what your looking to do.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  5. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

Nickle plated brass looks like steel but it is not. Make sure you know what you are buying... if you intend to reload...
  6. Absolver5000

Absolver5000 New Member

Randy P why do you have to crush my dreams?

Thanks guys :/

Bad news, but at least it's an answer.
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

Hey, I gotta go with my strengths - lol

But let me state that reloading is a VERY easy process to learn, there is a way to participate at all budget and interest levels and for a relatively small investment most anyone who can read and follow simple instructions can make safe, reliable and accurate ammo.
  8. Absolver5000

Absolver5000 New Member

Yeah I was eyeballing the Lee Classic reloader kit. Runs about $25-30 depending on where you shop. Had me infinitely interested because it WASN'T a $200 press kit.

I've heard you should put reloads in a semi-automatic though. I'm just skiddish because my primary gun-advice buddy went to Front Sight and came back with a story about a guy blowing up a nice new Springfield with reloads, and then blowing up a second nice new Springfield with reloads.
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Be careful, and double check yourself. Then you shouldn't have a problem.
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i agree.. uying new brass for each load will cost you more inthe long run.

PS.. loading a new case is the same art as 'relaoding'.

economy comes from buying projectiles in mass qty.. same with powder and primers... then getting multiple uses of the casing. I typically get at least 4-5 loads on a set of large rifle brass. the brass is the most expensive component.. so you spread the cost out per reloading.

if you practice basic safe reloading principles.. you are no more apt to blow your hand off with a reloaded case than a new one.

as another said.. if you simply want to shoot cheap.. buy the cheap wolf / tul or generic branded non reloadable ammo maybee save the shell casings and sell to a scrapper by the pound.

reloading, generally.. inthe end.. doesn't save you much money.. if any.. but does let you shoot WAY more for that same money.. plus yo learn something.. PLUS you can hand tailer loads for specific guns and have way more control of cartridge load to cartridge load for each case..
  11. Clipper

Clipper Member

Any Idiot can blow up a gun with hot loads, the object is NOT to blow up guns but to manufacture safe, reliable ammunition at a very reasonable cost (after you recover the cost of your loading equipment.) Did your pal say what the powder charge was in the loads he was shooting that destroyed the Springfields?

Yes, there are those who load to the maximum for everything, and there are those of us who load for the enjoyment of shooting our hand rolled ammo, using proper powder loads. The object is to have a means of supplying your shooting sport with the best product. Spend some time here, listen to LD Bennett and the seasoned shooters here in the forum before you make the plunge. Make sure you know what you want, then go after it.
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Wait wait wait, I have had 2 guns blow up on me using factory ammo. One was a springfield clone of a hk and it was new and it needed to be headspaced correctly. Another was a baby desert eagle. So hold the presses.

Reloading is not rocket science. It takes respect. No drinking alchol, no smoking a dubbie, no pills no nonsense while your doing it. If your the type of person that can read a book and comprehend it and keep your attention on what your doing then you could probably do it with out a problem. If your the kind of person who forgets to close the refrigerator door, car door, miss an exit on the interstate then you probably should not reload.
  13. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Wait wait wait. You mean I can't smoke a dubbie, and drink while I'm reloading. Ah crap, no wonder I get so many squibs, I thought it was the equipment:D
  14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Cyclone hit already on it and I agree 100% ! Factory ammo recalls happen ALOT and have probably blown up more guns than reloads. Although it's my thought that the good portion of KB's happen due to poorly maintained guns rather than the ammo.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Actually, if you think about it a minute, reloading IS rocket science on a small scale!!
  16. zant

zant Member

Shooting my friends Judge Carbine yesterday-using Win cowboy factory loads-4 squibs out of a 50rd box....
  17. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Ah man. I thought this section was all about rolling your own :(