shansei owners?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by soundguy, Jul 28, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

anyone got a box cannon and shoot it?
  2. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

If we are talking about the Chinese .45ACP broomhandle, yes I have shot mine - once. That is to say I took it out to shoot once but fired more than one round. I pulled the trigger and it fired. I pulled again and it didn't fire. The bolt was standing open! It had emptied the mag - sounded like one shot and it didn't rise out of my hand. Never tried to fire it again. It's available for trade.

I'm not new to guns & have shot 1911s since the 1930s but this beast is something else. Looks like new, beautiful machining, as good as the best German or American but all the small inside parts look like they were filed out one at a time and left rough.

I have never tried to trouble-shoot it to find out just how the disconnector works (or failed to work) but its on my to-do list --- been there maybe 10 years.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. soundguy

interesting. I've seen some guns that were 'hand fit' as well, showing filing or rough machine marks on the internal parts.. though externals looked good. then again.. I've seen some that were rough knock off copies.. thinkgs like proofs and letterings were even semi duplicated .. but in hte casting process.. not a machining.. :)

might be usefull as a parts gun maybee? i have a few shansei, could always use parts...

soundguy
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    http://www.gunsinternational.com/Broomhandle-Chinese-Type-17-Shanxi-45-ACP.cfm?gun_id=100270878
    The .45 ACP broomhandle offerred here was imported by Navy Arms and is so marked. It is serial number 733 and is all matching as stated above. There was a German guy beautifully refinishing some of these guns and this looks like one that he did. Upon inspection we found the words "China, .45 ACP" on one side of the grip strap and the words "NA. Co., Ridgefield, NJ" on the other grip strap. Of course these inscriptions were put there by the importer (Navy Arms). You need a magnifying glass to see these inscriptions, the inscriptions were also partially polished off in the process of refinishing the pistol, An outstanding example for any collector of Broomhandles or .45 ACP's.

Retail value $6000.00- $7000.00, Sale priced at $4995.
  5. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

I bought mine maybe 20 years ago from some CA outfit advertizing them in 3 qualities. I ordered the highest quality and they were out of it so I took the second. Like new, as far as I could tell, it had nothing that would reduce it to #2. I think I paid $995 for it; a far cry from the $5K they are talking about now.
  6. soundguy

they are reasonable scarce.. I saw one at a gun show for 2500$ a while back and for some reason passed on it.