share your favorite .45 ACP load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Caneman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

JLA, the prob I have is that i live in the environmental wacko zone and i have to carry a copper bullet or go to jail... Barnes only lists +P loads for the .45 ACP, can I use +P in my Colt Gov 1991 and be safe?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it without an 18-20# recoil spring. The gun should come stock with an 18# spring so you should be OK. Just watch for signs of excessive battering where the slide meets the frame and recoil guide. Thatts where those +Ps are gonna take their toll. Watch the ejector too. I have seen +P ammo rip ejectors plum out of 1911s, it isnt common but it happens. There was no such thing as +P when JMB designed the 1911, just military ball, 230 gr of jacketed lead at ~825 fps.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

On a side note, you could use the Barnes XPB and download them over a chrony until they are running at standard velocity for a bullet that weight. Thats what I would do.
  4. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

I have standardize to 5.6 grains of 231 for all of my 45ACP loads (two exception, a shot load and another that will remain a mystery).
    This charge is used mostly for lead 200 grain SWC and for the few 225/230 grain LRN, they get the same.
    I don't waste my time/money with expanding bullets in my 45s. I don't think that the velocity is there to rely on expansion.
    That .451 chunk of soft lead does just fine and I think the 200s up the velocity a tad and the SWC profile will grab more than round or conical noses.
    I have been loading and using this combination for longer than I want to admit, well, I was using 230 powder before it was changes to 231.
    I get around 850FPS out of a 5 inch barrel and 970FPS out of a 16 1/2 inch barrel.
    I am happy with the load/s.

OSOK
  5. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Serious stuff....Power Pistol, near max, 230g Speer Gold Dot

Plunking....Tightgroup, 4.5 g, 230 gr RNL

I dont know why I ever stopped shooting Bullseye in the ACP...It was always the most accurate powder/bullet (200g SWCL) that Ive ever used.
  6. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

6.0gr of Unique and a 230gr lead bullet.
  7. merbeau

merbeau New Member

I use Oregon Trail Laser Cast 180 grain Semi Wadcutter for my Bullseye shooting with a an OAL 1.2480, Taper Crimp 0.470 and 5.6 gr. Universal Clays at about 760 fps. Thse loads will produce 1.75 inch groups at 50 yards from my SW 945.
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

thanks for all the input... i was looking for a load that filled the case up as much as possible, looks like 7.0 gr of Herco would do a good job, anyone reload with Herco in this caliber?
  9. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I'm pretty new to reloading but so far I like 7gr of Power Pistol under a 230gr Hornady XTP.
  10. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

You said you have a new one on the way. (funds limited?)
    I have a Colt Gold Cup that came with two springs-one for lighter cast bullet loads. I've actually found that my cast loads work fine with either spring.

I got one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/73...diameter-230-grain-tumble-lube-truncated-cone

I have been buying up all the wheelweights at tire shops I can find. Last buy was 80 pounds for $10. Theys didn't want any money but I slipped 'em a ten spot so they'd be happy to see me the next time. 5 gallon bucket. I use the Lee tumble lube-cheap & easy with no luber tool needed. Along with a Lee melting pot I can throw out bullets by the thousand for almost nothing but time invested.

My load is with Unique. Way cheap shootin'.