Share Your Prep

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Caneman, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

I have been "prepping" since January of this year, usually getting dry goods or canned goods at the store once per week and accumulating...

my latest prep is to start storing grains in 5gal buckets in sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers... wheat, rice, beans, corn, and oats are supposed to last 10+ years this way...

i am starting a new 5 gallon bucket today to store hard red winter wheat... you can soak it, boil it, or grind it up to make different types of meals or breads, i also got a grain grinder coming in next week...

what prep do you want to share with us? :thumbsup:
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I buy whole wheat (food grade) at the feed store in 50# sacks. We have a local farmer who sells good once used square food buckets (4gal I think?), two will hold 50 lbs.

got a hand grinder to process it also.

put some rice up, really need to get on the ball and get more put away. Crisco shortening is great, lasts well over 5 years and can be used/rotated for baked goods.

I don't have a lot but I've got enough to last realistically a month or so, assuming there will be additional guests that show up and the need for 3-4000+ calories a day.

Did quite a bit starting about 2 years ago, kinda slacked off this year, need to add to the stash some more. I honestly don't believe there will be any apocolypse or anything serious or long term but going hungry isn't fun and being prepared is smart. You don't have to go overboard but having a few months of food on hand is a necessity for anyone I think.

Lots of folks living week to week out of the grocery store, if SHTF, they're gonna be hurting pretty bad.

Bought a bunch of bic lighters this week, want to put a bunch of those up. They last pretty much forever.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I just add to what I've got as money allows. I use the Food Saver system to vacume pack my dry goods, rice, beans, flour, corn meal, dehydrated foods, backing powder, sugar, salt. What ever comes to mind! I use the 5gal buckets from Lowes, they are food grade, and my stuff is sealed anyway. Store in the house for now, got about 15 gal. Several Crisco Shorting cans, some canned meats, boxed/packaged dinners. I also have put back some meat with this system for the freezer. Not a lot because if the power goes out, you eat it quick, or loose it. I have about 150 gals of water on hand, pluss the pond. I also have several live traps for squirrels, rabbits, racoons, possums, or anything else I can catch in them, that I might eat! I bought a couple of rolls of copper wire to use as traps for small game as well. Still adding to everything, such as shovels, axes, hoes, and hatchets. Anything I can think of that would be usefull somewhere down the road.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

forgot, buying frozen veggies and drying them has been an addiction of mine; frozen ones are pretty cheap and are ready for dehydrating out of the package.

I vaccuum seal 'em and keep them stored out of the light in burlap rice sacks. They reconstitute very quickly to make soups or whatever. I use them quite a bit for hunting season.

Other grains are good for variety too; Quinoa is an excellent one. Dried beans are great but they don't last as long as most grains do. But they're super cheap, keep about 25-30lbs of dried beans on hand.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

For real long term storage use mylar bags, and 02 absoebers, we're talking 20 years now. The vacum sealed bags of whatever are good for a few years. The reason they won't go longer is because the plastic in the bags will start to leak! If you have the money, and want to store up 20 years of food, then go for it! I tend to think that if I can get thru the first year, I'll have vegies growing in a garden. But if that fails, then another year of food should get you up, and running. If not, then we got bigger problems than just food!
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yep, I bought a bunch of different sized mylar bags off the internet, Amazon.com had some good deals. Bought O2 absorbers also. The veggies I've got vaccuumed with O2 absorbers, plan on using most of them for hunting season this year. But long term, the mylar is about the only decent thing for sure. Mylar bag inside of a hard container with O2 absorbers and dessicant packs will protect the stuff for a loooong time!

I also add diatomacious earth (DE) to my grain, it's edible (and good for you) and kills any bugs/larvae.
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

sorry, i dont see the need to prep
  8. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Wife takes care of the food, i've been buying up alot of ammo in the last several months.
  9. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Use nitregen gass instead. just stick the hose in the bucket. turn it on. It's heavier than O2.
    so it will push out all the O2. then close the bag. should last even longer.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've heard of the nitro gas but is it easy to get, is it pricey? it's supposed to be very effective, don't know much about it though.

We've got a little aerosol can of that stuff for sealing a wine bottle back up after you open a bottle but don't finish (that's why it's still sitting on the bar, never had a problem finishing a bottle of wine!), same idea I guess.
  11. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

decided im going to make a solar oven, you are supposed to cook up to 350 degrees even in winter so long as the sun is out:

[​IMG]
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Just ordered a 55 gallon drum of methanol, does that count?

It's to feed my Toyota's but I'm sure it's got plenty of other uses.

Going to be stocking up on some food for hunting season this coming week...
  13. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

^^^ absolutely! I have 5gal and 2.5gal of gas in the garage...
  14. carver

carver Moderator

Everything runs on either gas, or electricity! The car, the tractor (diesel), the tiller, the lawn mower, the weed eater, and the chain saw! No gas for the car, oh well, I'm not going anywhere anyway! No fuel for the tractor means I can't bush hog, oh well! No gas for the tiller, then it's time to break out the shovels, and hoes! Won't need the weed eater at all. The chain saw would come in handy, but with the noise it makes, I might as well advertize my where abouts! I do own a one man crosscut saw, so I'm good!
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've got a few gas cans around that I keep full but it all adds up to only about 15 gallons or so, not very much. That will get my Sequoia about 200 miles max. my truck, about 300 or so.

SHTF, doubtful I will be driving at all just due to fuel alone. Had a buddy who made his own biodiesel though, about $.55 /gallon, that would be a reasonable option possibly.

I have my mountain bike and a good pair of boots to get me around!