Share Your Prep

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Caneman, Oct 11, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Right. See, no need to prep.
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

shoot and loot baby!
  3. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

got some 1 gallon mylar bags yesterday so i can store smaller portions and not have to break open a 5 gallon bag...
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know, I put a little extra polish cleaner in with my brass tumbler today. You know, I wanna look good taking what I can. I'm just saying. :)
  5. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Member

We've got stores of supplies...also have experience in disaster zones where it was necessary to train the wife as backup to face looters. Now there's 4 dogs and my wife and I both shoot...go ahead and try to loot, I can always use the extra guns and ammo I'll pick up when you're dead. Last time I missed a target was in the 1960s when I was a young lad lol.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

had to resurect this thread; not that it's good to advertise what you have, but found a cheap supply of basmati rice. too bad it's gonna run out permanently soon.

200# of rice richer now for $160. plus some other random goodies. not a bad idea to have a few months food supply on hand, not that anything super stupid will likely happen but if you've ever been hungry, you'd understand the need for some yum yums on hand.

highly recommend grabbing some rice now, prices are climbing hard here. it's not to survive the end of the world but will buffer the upcoming food cost increase that's bound to happen. ouch.....

I wanna buy the rest of the pallet sitting at the store but had to restrain myself. I love my rice. it's been a staple for a loooooong time for lots of folks. found out that table salt can be had in 25lb sacks for $3.99 also, cool! non-iodized but a good suppliment none-the-less. if all else fails, will keep the ice off the front porch....
  7. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Well-Known Member

I just recently got my hands on 20 cases of MRE's for free. Over the last two years, i've had to prepare for possible short term problems caused by hurricanes, but luckily we emerged relatively unscathed. Sandy was pretty rough for about a week, but having gotten my wife and kids out of the area before it hit, I only had to worry about myself. Any prepping I do is geared towards short-term natural disaster issues. Anything worse than that and a family of four in this area has no chance staying in place. No sense stocking up when we would have to evac anyway.
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

learn to pressure can..we are eating pork,beef and chicken we canned 8 months ago..NO refrigeration required!! Man cannot live by veggies alone!!

no refrigeration needed so no electricity needed....
  9. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

better have some bullet resistant clothing:eek:
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

aa1911, I don't know how fast you eat rice, but I have a suggestion for you.

Rebag it in one-gallon ziplocks. They hold right at six pound of long grain white, so I presume they'll hold the same of Basati. Then stick it in the deep freeze for at least two weeks. You can leave it in there longer - it won't hurt it. But two weeks of freezing kills all the bug eggs.

One of the very annoying things is to open your rice and find it crawling. Or even if you don't notice the bugs, to find the fine powder - bug poop.

If you are going to do "long term storage", with sealed mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, then you don't need this step, as the O2 absorbers do just that, and when the eggs hatch the bugs suffocate.

But if you don't put either O2 absorbers or an inert gas (argon, or CO2) in there, when you open your mylar you will find it crawling.

I freeze my rice, my grits, my oatmeal, my corn meal and my flour. Only took twice for me to learn to do that. And that was one time more than it shoulda.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Already have, with trama plates.
    And a nice little kevlar brain bucket.
    Good week this week. SIL brought 6 cases of MRE's, 3 cans of 5.56 brass and 3 cans of 7.62 brass. Time to dust off the press.
  12. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Well-Known Member

The problem with looting is that it won't be productive. Very few people will have anything worth looting, and those that do will likely be prepared and willing to defend it. I believed in that idea for awhile until my friend opened my eyes. The typical city contains 3-4 days worth of food for each person, roughly. That is nothing, as evidenced by what happens when we see runs on supermarkets for routine weather events. In a real scenario, very few people will have the food to sustain you even if you can physically steal it from them.
  13. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

seriously, if you have a wife and kids to provide for and looting is your main plan for getting supplies, (really, you have no plan)
    you're risking your life and ultimatley that of your family if you get killed in the process.
  14. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

correct you are sir, I did do O2 absorbers as well as DE (diatomacious earth) which kills bugs. shouldn't have any issue. All is in mylar bags I found online for cheap.

the only issue with freezing is to ensure that it returns to ambient temp before you try and seal it up is all. But a great method if O2 absorbers and the DE are not available. I've heard of toasting your goods in the oven for a short time to remove all moisture, but same issue, ensure no condensation is still present when it's time to seal.

I did some smaller bags, but my buckets hold around 25lbs which we can go through fairly quickly. Thinking of caulking the lids shut also, got some old stuff to use up, might not hurt.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I to use small protion packaging. My theory is that I need to rotate, and large quantities of one particular item makes that very hard to do. The guns, and ammo is covered well at this time. I'm still adding to my food supply, buying Heirloom seeds so I don't have to depend on the store to seed my next crop. Am also adding some things I think will be usefull, like whisky, though I don't drink, it's for trading. I am adding pipe tobacco in 1 pound bags, as well as cigarette papers. The whisky, and tobacco will be used for trading for other things I might need. Cheap knives, tooth brushes, bath soap, and disposalable razors, are a few other items I'm stocking up on.
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ordered more mylar bags and O2 absorbers.

found this today, want more water storage than I currently have, this thing is a bit pricey but might fill the ticket. When power goes out, we lose our well; this would tide us over for the usual 5 day outtage each year.

http://beprepared.com/160-gallon-water-reserve.html

160 gal tank, BPA free.
  17. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Wonder how a wood floor would hold that?

It's got a smaller footprint than a typical gun safe. Weighs 1300 pounds when it is full, and is made to stack, so 2600 pounds on 8 square foot of floor.

If my house was on a concrete slab, I wouldn't worry about that, but a wood floor?
  18. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

dunno, trying to figure out if I want this thing inside or out; temps don't get real cold but possibly enough to freeze up. inside would probably be best. 160 gal at 8lbs/gal is a lot of weight! more than a safe.

my garage is uninsulated but enough to keep things from freezing overnight... hmmm...
  19. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  20. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Personally, I would just get a katydyn filter for water if you have a source handy. Takes up much less space and it a constant source if you can find a mud hole or a creek. I am going to get one or two for backpacking and for the kit that I am starting.

I'm gathering some food grade buckets right now and have my list of O2 absorbers and mylar bags that I am wanting. I actually got my wife involved the other night. Once she quit ridiculing and asking why, I think she saw the value. I figure $100 will get all my bags, buckets and such. I'm not going to order the absorbers until I have enough stocks laid by to seal everything. I'm thinking I will have about 10 buckets of food initially. That will be quite a bit of food for the 2 of us. I also plan to put back a gallon of honey once our bees produce, a bucket of sugar, a bucket of spices of differant kinds, rice, beans, steel cut oats, 1 6 gal bucket of general supplies, and a bucket of heiroom seeds.

In the general supplies bucket I'm going to put some paracord, strike anywhere matches(along with a magnesium strip or other alternative) fishing equipment, a book on edible plants(one of my wifes suggestions which I though was very good.), some ammo(and heck I may just buy a cheap .22 pistol to go in there.), and whatever else I can think of.

We are on a crawl space with a trap door, so I plan on putting it under the house. Eventuall I am going to enlarge the door and put stairs and pavers down there and hopefully start brewing some beer and mead.

I plan on getting my stuff from usa emergency supply. Where have yall found yalls? Since I am still in the gathering phase, I need to make me a detailed list of stuff to include. If yall dont mind, add a list of what you are storing or add to what somebody else says so I can add to my list.