Sharpening Serrated blades?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by polishshooter, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

can simply wrap 600 grit sandpaper around the appropriate sized rod.
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill, for an easy solution to what seemed (to me) a
    somewhat complex'ed "thought process".
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker that has the triangle shaped ceramics.
    I sharpen a variety of serated blades with it, including a Spyderco Delica that has two different sized serations.
    I have found that by using the edge orientation of the ceramics, greatly increasing the vertical motion over the horizontal motion of the strokes, and reversing the horizontal direction several times, I get a good edge in the serations of all of them.
    The finer the seration, the shorter the horizontal movement during the process.

While more difficult to sharpen, serations sure do have their uses - -
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Careful Bill, this is a family site:cool::D

Actually, thanks all for your advice. I too love sharpening knives with my stones, but I never paid attention to serrated blades, although I knew they were better for cutting lines, seat belts, etc.

Mine is getting dull from cutting coax and other wire, along with opening boxes that my pocket knives seem to do a lot. Which is why I like the Buck 442s...quality enough to last, and to hold an edge, really light, but big enough for serious use, don't show "Pocket Wear," but not a $100 Spyderco or whatever that I would hesitate to use roughly because of the price I paid for it.:p

The other thing the serrations do really well when you are up on a ladder and your wire stripper is 10 or 12 feet straight down on the floor:cool: is strip wire better than a straight blade. Just use one of the serrations.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Speaking of sharpening, my wife and I go to a lot of estate auctions, and I bid $1 for "What was left on the table" which was a bunch of kitchen stuff, and in the knfe box was all Case XX table and kitchen knives!:eek:

Not to speak ill of the dead....

BUT....90% of them the guy had put on a GRINDER to sharpen and flat out ruined them. Some of the blades were more than 1/2 way gone.

I DID find a 6 peice set of Case XX steak knives in there, UNUSED that quickly became OUR steak knife set on the counter.

My wife and I have been married for 32 years, and she was from Bradford, PA, and from somebody we got a Case Kitchen knife set for a wedding gift. It is STILL on the wall, and used daily. (Except for the paring knife that "Walked away" years ago at a pitch in:mad:) Which is why I was able to compare mine to HIS.

But they have seen NOTHING but Arkansas stones and occasional kitchen steel, and the blades still look, well, not new, but "Well Used but Used Well."