Sharpening

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Kev117, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Kev117

Kev117 New Member

Any recommendations on sharpening techniques and systems would be appreciated. No matter what I try I can't seem to get a super sharp edge.

Like "so razor sharp you can shave with it" edge.

Thanks
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

it just takes practice Kev, it takes a lot of time and patients to get it right but you will get it. I been doing it for over 45 years and the only real thing I can tell you is practice. Alot of it has to do with the kind of steel you are trying to sharpen, for me the easiest and most reliable has always been buck fixed blades. Something about that stainless steel is just good to me. Good luck and practice practice practice.
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Everything that you've ever wanted to know about sharpening is in this treatise that can be found HERE

Personally, I use the Edge Pro sharpening system to put the initial razor sharp edge to a blade INFO HERE and the Spyderco Sharpmaker HERE to maintain the edge (which is key to a great blade).
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have, over the years, tried numerous systems, both commercial and hand made. I still have several, including a beautiful hard Arkansas stone which I hand inletted into a fitted oak box with brass furniture to hold the lid in place. Following that, I would remove my leather belt, hook the buckle to a chair, and strop the blade on the inside surface of it until I could shave with it.
    I currently use the Spyderco Triangle system that Tim posted about, and find it to be the best and fastest I have ever used.
    Good GRIEF it is $85 now????
    Glad I bought mine years ago when it was cheaper and I had an income!

But one thing is sure.
    ANY of these systems CAN put a razer edge on a blade.
    You just need to work at it until you have the edge you are after. The most important thing is to work toward the ANGLE on your blade - somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees should do it - and work toward that angle from beginning to end. There is a tendency when you first start sharpening a blade to go for a steeper angle, thus getting an edge more quickly. Fight that urge, stick with the 15 to 20 degree angle, and you will be shaving with it.

What kind of knives do you own, Kev? My favorite ones include a Schrade, Spyderco, and several cheap ones that I just enjoy the looks of, like my Butterfly and my three bladed shredder.
  5. topper

topper New Member

I use a tri-stone that was made back in the 1930's. It has three different grades of stones and does a fine job of sharpening. Some of the newer "made in china" blades are made of a hard stainless steel and it takes a bit of work to get a keen edge. I set the blade at about a 10* angle and draw slowly toward me and then flip over and push it away. Do this until the edge is getting very sharp and then finish on a very smooth arkansas stone and then strop with a leather belt. That should produce a very sharp edge.
  6. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

7. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Saw tons of sharpening systems at the Shot Show... as far as mechanical system ala lansky etc. this one impressed me... www.v-sharp.com

I've been sharpening knives for 40+ years the old fashion way... so mechanical ones don't turn me on... but it's not so easy teaching
    my kids and friends... they don't have the patience to practice and learn. This V-sharp thing is fast and will do so many size blades and they come out really as sharp as I can do the old way.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    you did not really say but there are metals out there that you cant put a razor edge on.im wondering if you are talking about all knives or just one in particular.you can talk to ten people and get ten different ways to sharpen a knife and all of them will be right maybe.......i have wet stones,oil stones,diamond stones,and have used them all correctly at one time or another.i always finish up with ceramic sticks and leather.i can only tell you to keep trying and hopefully youll find a formula that will work for you old semperfi
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Practice, practice and then some. The method/set-up Tim mentioned is like what I use. I never was to awefully good doing it without guids. One thing I do though when I buy a new knife, I use it til dull and then use my set-up and start honeing away til I get "my" right angle on the edge, that way when it needs shapened again, all I have to do is hit it a few licks and it's right back to were it will shave your arm.
  10. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Good advice all. I'm with the old fashioned practice crowd, as I have never been one for the knife sharpening gadgets, with one exception. Most people need something to help with the initial edge and these work pretty good.

After I get the initial angle set with one of these, then I use a hard Arkansas stone with oil and I can shave with it. I keep one of these in my hunting back pack and several in my survival / SHTF / first aid back pack.

I have diamond hones, ceramic sticks, a 3 stone set up with coarse, medium and fine stones and any and all work with practice
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have never tried any of the helpers. My dad was a barber and he had me sharpening his straight razors when I was 14. I have never had a problem putting an edge on a blade. I would recomend that you try one, or two, of the helpers, then learn to do it by hand. In a survival situation you probably won't have any helpers.
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The Spyderco Sharpmaker can be found on E-bay for around $55-$60. It is an excellent sharpener system.
  13. DARIN

DARIN New Member

I will tell you this....do it by hand. No offense to the folks with the sharpening machines. A person with knowledge and experience can get a face shaving edge on a blade with a concrete block and cardboard...LOL Really though, many experts state that only one stone is needed along with a finisher/polisher such as leather. I use 2 to 3 stones according to the knife and its use. I use a medium Arkansas stone for starters and then move to the translucent or the Black surgical stone. Once I have obtained the correct edge and angle I hit the leather strap. This is only if there`s no need for a major rework. I completely stay away from ceramics, glass, or many other synthetics.
    Practice ALOT!! Learn the art of angles. Different blades have different thickness, material types, etc.,etc. so you will really need to do the research in order to find out what some others are doing.
    I will be happy to answer any questions pertaining to a perticular knife, stone,etc.. feel free to send me a message or an email and I will gladly help you to the best of my abilties. I can also give you a few links to some of my pals that have videos on the subject.
    Be careful and good luck to ya!
    Oh yeah!....Remember that steels are ONLY for correcting the edge. Or in other words..to roll the edge back up.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  14. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

It really depends on the knife. Some knives have an edge that are more like an axe, you can't get them as sharp as a straight razor because of the entirely different kind of edge.

But I have been sharpening knives since before I was a boy scout and it is all in the angle. Some knives are harder because of the curved blade make the angle hard to follow. Some people can't get the hang of it, for those people I would suggest get a straight blade. You only need to concentrate on one angle the whole blade length.

Think shaving the stone ever so thinly.

Also, I have changed the method that I was taught. Now I use circular motions. I started doing that when I decided to put an edge on some bayonets, it was taking so long that I decided to change methods to get more grinding time per minute. I do that with every blade now, works wonderfully, takes less than half the time and I am getting a longer life from the edge.
  15. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i will tell you one of my tricks,but only one.take your regular wet stone,not oil stone and get it wet.take kitchen clenser and powder stone lightly.run blade 10 strokes on one side holding at proper angle(depends on blade)then 10 strokes on opposite side always as if you are cutting away from yourself.make sure to re wet and powder both times.then wash off all powder and sharpen normally.i think you will find a quicker and sharper edgwe to start with old semperfi