sharps calibre 40

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by aaronmb, Feb 13, 2010.

1. aaronmb

aaronmb New Member

Hello, I am a new member and I have a sharps rifle I would like to know more
    about. Any info would be great. It is an original sharps round barrel. On the
    barrel top starting at the breach end it has CALIBRE 40 then a flip up site
    then SHARPS RIFLE CO. BRIDGEPORT. CONN. then "OLD RELIABLE".
    serial# is on top right in front of cheek behind breach and hammer.
    serial#156395. on left side of the breach it has SHARPS RIFLE CO. PAT.APR.6 1869. The site has R.S.LAWRENCE PATENTED FEB. 15TH 1859.
    It also has 1 trigger. The barrel has no rust in side or out blueing looks to be at least 85%-90% all over no cracks in the stock has some marks on stock along with a few scratches. One thing I would like to know is any history on this rifle ie orignal owner I was told a family member bought it new.
    I would also like to know if it is a 40-70,40-90,40-110 or what?
    And where I could find ammo for it. And how much for ammo.Also an aproximit value for insurance purposes. thank you. aaronmb
    p.s. will send pics soon
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Richard Labowski, Phone (215) 748 1376, has all the surviving Sharps records. Contact him with the serial number and he'll tell you if he has the records for it. Well worth the price to have a copy too. It will have listed any factory options, the caliber it was chambered in, where it was shipped to, and when.
    Can you post some pics of it?
  3. aaronmb

aaronmb New Member

I will post some pics some time soon hopefully today. by the way thank you for responding.
    I live in ohio and i can't find any one near here that knows anything about it.
    seems like everyone has heard of a sharps but have not seen one like this one. they all say they always thought they all had octigon barrels.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum aaronmb, looking forward to seeing pictures of the gun!
  5. aaronmb

aaronmb New Member

thank you i am very new to this pc stuff i normaly hang out at the donut shop in the mornings just to sit and hear all the storys from the "old timers"
    in fact one of my personal heros invited me to meet him there this morning.
    he is 90 years old a pearl harbor serviver and a former pow in ger. he was shot down over ger. while on a bomber run.
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

They made them Octagon, Round, and half Round and half Octagon. The only model I know of that only came with a full round barrel was the 1874 Sharps Business Rifle, with standard double set triggers.
    My WAG on the caliber would be the 40-70 Sharps necked, a bottle neck cartridge. Sharps usually marked their barrels for bottle neck cartridges with just the caliber, 40-70 straight wall case chambered rifles were marked .40 -2.5 , the 2.5 meaning a 2 1/2" long case.
    A chamber cast is a must to determine exactly what it is. Sharps would chamber in Winchester calibers too, and many were sent back and re-chambered for a larger case caliber. When you know the caliber, I can track down some ammo for you.
    Get some pics up and I can give you a guesstimate on value, even wallhangers will bring $2K. How is the bore condition?
  7. aaronmb

aaronmb New Member

how do i put pics onto this page
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Aaron, this is my Sharps Business rifle that came to me as a basket case in a coffee can, for payment on a dozen water damaged guns I restored for a friend.
    It was owned by Teddy Roosevelt, given to his hunting guide Bill Grinell, and Bill gave it to my friends dad. Took me about 8yrs to restore it to shooting condition, the original barrel was packed in grease and replaced with a Shilen Match barrel in 45/70.

[​IMG]
  10. aaronmb

aaronmb New Member

I've been having trouble with my pc so i'm a little slow at getting pics on to the site. some one asked about the bore. the few "gun shops" i've taken it
    to have all said it has a "very shootable bore". it is clean with no pits or signs
    of rust. there is a few dings on the stock but looks superfical.
    i have not been able to find any pic like it on the web. i got this rifle from my
    grandfather and was told it belonged to his uncle. who got it from his father
    who was the original owner.?. so please bear with me while i get the problem
    fixed with my pc.:eek: