1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Sharps Carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Norman1, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Norman1

Norman1 New Member

I have a Sharps Carbine that I inhereted from my parents. My grandfather gave it to my mother many years ago. I have no interest in this gun nor do I have anyone to leave it to. So I would like to sell it. I have looked on the internet and there are many prices that the gun could be worth. I have seen prices from $1,200 to $7,000 and even more. The gun has the following markings on it ES LAurance April 12TH 1859, C. Sharps Oct 5TH 1852, C.Sharps Sept 12 1846.This gun has been in my family for probably 100 years. I bought the bookCivil War Sharps Carbines & Rifles looking to see if I could find who owned the gu ,but the serial # was not in there. The serial#on the gun is 54194.My e mail address is Normanm1@cox.net It would be great if someone could help me honestly price this gun. Thank you in advance for any help anyone could give me.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I know of no way to determine who owned or was issued that carbine in the Civil War or who may have owned it later. If possible, you might search your family records to determine if it can be traced but outside that, I think a search would be pointless. A good provenance (trace of ownership) can add to the value of such a gun, even if the previous owners were not especially noted or notorious. Needless to say, documented prior ownership by a prominent person would significantly increase the value.

The carbine looks to be in good condition. If the serial number does not have a "C" in front of it, it is a Model 1859 in the first series, serial numbers 30,000-75,000. The Sharps was a common Civil War carbine; they had 22" barrels and a pellet type primer mechanism. More pictures of the gun overall would help, but I would WAG at one in that condition bringing $5000-6000, with the high side dependent on good wood and a functioning primer mechanism.

Jim
  3. Norman1

Norman1 New Member

Here are the pictures

Attached Files:

4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Looks OK.

Jim