Sharps Sights

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Beard, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Beard

Beard New Member

For me, as quite new to the game, the Sharps vernier sight is interesting, but full of mystery. My problem is a lack of confidence due to inexperience. My load is a 540 gr bullet on 70 gr of black powder. Can anyone suggest a sight setting for 100, 200, and 300 yards? Todate I am having little luck in zeroing in the rifle, and I would much appreciate some guidance.
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I can tell you is that one full turn is equal to 1/2" MOA at 100 yds.
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I was hoping someone with a Sharps would chime-in but it doesn't look promising.

If you know the specifics of the load you are using, velocity, ballistic coefficient of the bullet, enter the information in a ballistic calculator and print-out the results so you know the drop and wind drift of that load. Here is the one I use to make my drop chats.
    Hornady Ballistics Calculator

Then adjustt your sights to the lowest setting, put a large piece of cardboard at the 50 yard mark. Shoot once and if you can see the hit, then adjust the elevation accordingly... up to raise the point of impact, [POI,] and down to lower it.

Once you are close at 50 yards, move to the 100 yard mark and get the setting correct there. When you do have it set right, make note of where the sight is.

Then your ballistic calculator will tell you how much you need to adjust up for the higher POI at 200 yards; set it then move on to 200. It may or may not hit properly on the first shot, so adjust accordingly then note where it is set.

The same goes for 300 yards, as does 200. Make sure you note where the sight setting is for future reference.

I hope this helps; if I had a Sharps I could be a little more specific.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That round is gonna have the trajectory of a rainbow. Best advice I can give you is to sight it in at 25 yds so it hits about a half inch high of POA. That should put you on paper at 100 yds so you can zero it. then once zeroed, using the 1 rev = 1/2 MOA and a cheat sheet you can figure how many revs to come up for it to hit 200 yds. You will need a chronograph and you will need to find out what BC the bullets have in order to make a cheat sheet..
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I own a Sharps with a tang sight. Mine is a rather inexpensive model (which I intend to upgrade soon) but do have some interesting data. The sight is laid out in .020" increments which I found kind of odd until I did some research. Assuming a standard length barrel (34"), .020" will give you 5 minutes of angle (if I remember correctly). This can then be used with a ballistics program and your bullet to determine how much the sight needs to go up (or down) to produce a setting for different yardages. Obviously you would then need to actually shoot it at those distances to determine the real world amount. You can easily determine the exact amount of change by simply shooting at 100 yards and adjusting it .020 (or .100 if you prefer) and measuring the difference.

Hope this helps.