Shaving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Well I always get ADD with my hair and facial hair for that matter (but one is more affordable and quicker to change easily :D). So I finally decided I get bummed every time I shave the goatee, I will do it for real this time. Gave some good grow and went and had a professional shave and haircut... definitely worth the $80. I have wanted to try straight razors for a long time, I have bad skin and have tried just about everything else to see if it helps...

I am sure part of the comfort of the professional shave was the prep work and fourteen products and sprays and creams they use, but omigosh was it awesome. The whole week afterwards shaving with my cartridge razor was even WAY more comfortable.

Thinking to save money and skip the maintenance (no stropping or honing) I will start with a shavette that uses the disposable razors (you get the double edged blades for a safety razor and snap them in half). Get about a years worth of blades for $30 (assuming 300 shaves a year, 3 shaves a blade). And those aren't the bargain brand either.

Anyone else use a straight or other non-modern method of shaving? :D
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

$80 for a shave and a hair cut !!!

$25 for the works at a barber here
    hot towel soak for the beard
    straight razor shaved
    back of the neck too

hair cut ( short back and sides for me )

but its a ugly old greek gbuy with a wicked sense of humour eh

not some cute young thing who could pass for one of my daughters friends

your paying for the view in those sorta places ;)
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I haven't shaved in over a year, but work makes me trim the beard
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I shave once a week, unless there is a special reason to do it more. I use a Shick razor and had the same blade in it for a year and a half before I changed it the last time. I hate shaving.
  5. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

If you have a sally beauty supply near you get a weck razor it is a straight razor with interchangable blades that has a sort of guard on it so you dont wack your skin open. I have been using one for years or I use one of the couple of safety razors I have that use a double edge blade. I have a heavy beard and it makes quick work of shaving and they dont clog like the disposable razors do.
  6. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A bit of useless info if you don't shave regularly. When you're done, rinse the blade and dry it on a towel. Just slide the blade across the towel in the opposite direction that you would if you were shaving.

Don't know the name, but it has four blades. I've been using the same one for months. Heard this tip on TV and tried it...blades are expensive. Try it.
  7. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Vlad another thing a barber told me a long time ago is to wash your face and neck with as hot of water as you can. Lather your face let it set a minute or so and just wipe the shaving cream off then relather and shave you will get a better shave this way. Why? I have no idea but it works.
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I normally just shave once a week............I get the Mach 3 out and go to town. I get about 4 shaves out of it before I toss the blade. They are great razors, but the refills are high.
  9. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

and I thought $9 at my barber was bad. I fired him and let my wife have at it.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've been using the new multi blade disposable razors, but am thinking of going back to the old saftey razor. Like some of you I shave once, or twice a week, or more often if I'm going out in public. The dang things clog, and I can't get the shave I want. No matter how much I scrape my face I just can't get it all off! A good straight razor might be the answer. My dad was a barber, and I can assure you that a good hot soak, with clean skin is a life saver, both for the razor, and for your skin.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I got tired of paying $12 - $15 for a haircut, so I just wacked it all off myself, and continue to cut my own hair.
  12. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife cuts my hair -
    I have not been to a barber in over 40 years -
    Little lady has saved us a TON of money doing this.

I shave when I leave the farm:
    Sunday morning, for Church -
    Any morning we are going to town.

If it has been a full week, I use a cheap disposable razer.
    If it has only been a few days, I use a Bruan foil razer.

Whe we took bike trips for vacation, I would never shave -
    Scruffy image = leave this guy ALONE!
  13. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Yeah me too Carver I dont have much left os a pair of 70 dollar clippers I get a fresh haircut every two weeks.

I had a pair of cheap clippers but they would bite my lip on occasion a lady that cuts my brides hair told me to get good clippers and damned if that didnt do the trick.

Oh and you are right your face has to have the pores open and the hair soft to get a good shave.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

$10 at Walgreens two years ago; been cutting my own hair every two weeks ever since. Figure I've saved enough for a gun or two by now.

Attached Files:

15. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I use the old double edged safety razors that came out right after the straight razor. you can still find them on ebay and at estate auctions. I have very sensitive skin and it is the only thing that shaves close without giving me razor burn.