Shell Casing ID

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 74man, Jan 23, 2011.

1. 74man

74man New Member

Does anyone know, where I might find shell casing Identification tables? I was looking over some federal .223 55gr. and on the end of the shell it has .223 Rem with two other stamped numbers or letters. I also looked at some Speer .223 and it just has 4 letter and number stamps. I know there has to be a table or book where I can decipher these stamped codes, but I am not all that proficent at the PC World yet. If there is a book or something online, I would much appreciate any information as to where I can identify any shell casing I might run into. All answers will be taken and very much appreciated. Thanks again.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Put "headstamps" into google or yahoosearch or dogpile or whoever you use. Several pages should come up.

That Federal should have FC on it. Federal Cartridge.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sounds like you got some Mil spec headstamps run under commercial mfg. FC does milspec, Winchester does milspec, LC is milspec etc...
  4. gschnarr

gschnarr New Member

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The link that gschnarr provided is a very good source, I have it in my "favorites" and have used it many times.