Shell Holders

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 76Highboy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was at Cabela's on Sunday and I heard something that has been on my mind since then.

I overheard the Hornady rep tell some customers that Hornady has the best shell holders in the business. I know since he is a rep that he is going to support his brand, however the 3 guys he was talking to whole heartedly agreed. I have never given it much thought until I heard their comments of support towards him.

The shell holders I have are either Lee or RCBS. Many of my shell holders are decades old and many are duplicates because I picked them up cheap at garage sales or gun shows. All of them perform great for the job intended and I have never given it a second thought because they do the job just fine. So I guess my question is, are Hornady's shell holders the best? If not, who's is the best? Also, are shell holders as a whole held to better tolerances today than shell holders of past decades?

I am curious as to what the majority has to say.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dunno. i use Lee shellholders and they work great. Its a fricken shell holder, it holds a shell. How special can it be??
  3. 76Highboy

That's what I've thought all week JLA. To be honest with you, the rep tried to tell me that Hornady was better than Lee when it came to dies. He had his Hornady dies open, so I popped open some Lee dies. We went back and fourth and after we got done he actually said that he did not know that the Lee's were that good. He didn't even know they used a 0-ring for the nut lock. I was amazed that I knew more about the Lee die then he did (not really though). I have a lot of Hornady dies and they are great. But don't start knocking my Lee dies because for the money spent, you can't beat them.

Upon that thought, I heard him make the shell holder statement to these guys as I was leaving and I just shook my head. However when they were agreeing I just kept itching my head all week thinking,,,, Am I missing something here.

I agree with you JLA. It's just a shell holder.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

he was a salesman and nothing more. I find most salesmen dont know anything about the products they claim thiers is better than, in fact i find they rarely know much at all about the products they sell. They only repeat whats written in sales brochures with charisma. I kinda dislike salesmen, im smart enough to decide for myself whats good and suits my purposes, and id wager most others are too. Only reason why sales folk exist is because some folks are accustomed to having all their thinkin and deciding done for them.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm with Josh on this one.

Sure they were sucking up to the Hornady rep. Probably hoping to get some freebies off him
  6. 76Highboy

You will laugh at this, but I am a salesman. However, I agree with you which is why if a salesman is going to sell me, he'd better be good. I am a successful salesman because I know my product and I believe in my product. You can tell when a salesperson knows his product.

Also, my Lee factory crimp dies are the bomb. Have you or any body tried the Hornady crimp dies. They are not as caliber specific as the Lee. One die will fit several. I am a pro Lee person but I think I am going to try the Hornady so I can just get a hands on.

What you think.
  7. 76Highboy

Ya, he offered me a Hornady sticker but I didn't really want one so he put it back on the shelf. After I educated him on the Lee dies he quit talking to me and casually left. I wasn't rude, in fact I was really nice. I think he just realized I wasn't dumb.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats ok Jim. In a way, I am also a salesman. I have to keep customers convinced their septics need to be pumped and when im not in the honey wagon im at home fixing guns for my own customers, who I also have to keep convinced their guns need fixin. Salesfolk are a necessary evil. I suppose what i dislike is the ones that just repeat what they read in thier companys sales brochures. Real salesmen are well versed in both the products they sell and the ones they intend to outsale.
  9. 76Highboy

That is why I use Grandpas Plumbing, and other small based businesses. They won't try and sell me the farm. They just fix the problem.
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Most of me lee eq is 30 years old. I buy lee and only lee cause that is what i started out with. I have no problems.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Now wait a minute Jim. When I was a lad, we called that the outhouse.
    What we need to do is, introduce you to the wonderful world of indoor plumbing. Now luckily you've come to the right man. For an unbelievably low price we can set you up with a deluxe one piece tub/shower fixture, a state of the art eco flush commode and your choice of vanity or pedestal sink. All fixtures come with top of the line chrome plated plastic hardware for years of corrosion resistance. Included with this package is new tile and paint. All this for a price so low, you'll think I paid you.
    What do say, should I draw up a contract? :D
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Unless LEE has upped their quality and manufacturing processes in the last 10 years, simply looking into the working part of the sizing die and comparing the machining there between say RCBS and LEE will convince you that LEE is NOT the same quality as RCBS. I have a few Hornady dies but have never done the comparison with them.

Do LEE dies usually do the job? Yes! Do I buy them? NO, unless forced to because no one else covers the particular caliber I want. Do I replace the old LEE dies I have used for 20 years? Yes, over time.

My first choice in dies is RCBS but I will buy Forester, Redding, Lyman or Hornady. I won't pay the exorbadant price for Dillon dies as they offer nothing special for me. RCBS is the best die for the least money. I also don't buy Harbor Freight tools.

LDBennett
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

LD, I have an assortment of RCBS, Forester, and Redding shell holders that I have accumulated with new calibers. Usually, I'll just look down list in Midway or Sinclair or whatever catalog to see what number they use or cross to for each caliber. My novice observation is that some shell holders have more play than others; though it might not be critical, you got to wonder? So, I have thought about buying competition shell holders or at least a standardized set from one company. How about your opinion? Is it just a waste of money or worth the bucks?
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My situation is much different from those that do not use a Dillon for reloading. My shell holder attaches to the rotating table, and is a plate which includes four stations. My only use for regular shell holders is for my bullet puller tool (actually a die) which I use once every few years. I have whatever shell holders came with the dies I bought through the years. All are thrown into a common box and I believe none have any identifying marks other than a number(??). None seem any better than any other (Even LEE shell holders are OK by me).

But for those of you that use the provided shell holders I would think some looseness is necessary to allow the case to self align during sizing and bullet seating. Some guns are hard on the rim and leave a burr from extraction and/or ejection that a tight shell holder might not accommodate. The precision needs only be vertically, I would think, and as long as the shell holder seats well in the press and allow the case to seat correctly in itself, that should be sufficient. They of course must keep the case in alignment with the die in use so the case does not get damaged by the process at hand.

This thread has to do with a blowhard Hornady salesman that has no idea how his or his competitors die sets work. Sales people in general only know what they have to know (but there are exception!). In all my years of going to gun stores I'd say more than 50% of the behind the counter people are full of BS and few really know the products they sell. I think it unconscionable that Hornady would allow a sales person into the field who did not know reloading inside and out and the competitors' products. But I don't get to choose their employees. They do. It might say something about Hornady and their products (??).

LDBennett
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  15. 76Highboy

What the heck? Grandpa painted the out house with 3 year old paint back in the 70's and it was the best that money could buy from the salvation army. Also, where do the chrome plated parts go? Is that what hooks onto the cows collar. I think they call those bells? Am I right howlnmad?