1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

She's BACK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stash247, Mar 13, 2007.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

After a two and a half year, two owner odyssey, my little red heeler, Georgia, has come home, again!
    I worked this pup, from a 3 month old, until she was 9 months, for a lady friend, with whom she then resided, to the point that she all but read english; a wonderful animal, but definitely requiring attention, out of her 'energy level'.
    Her time with the GF was nearly two years, and the two are to this day, the best of friends, but, as red heads go, the quadriped was smarter than the biped, so it was far from a 'marriage made in heaven', for them.
    Outplaced her, to a second home, with a guy I know who has all the knowledge, and skills, to make her a 'productive citizen', but lacks the time(my oversight), and, in less than four months, I got "the call", again, last Saturday morning, telling me of all her 'anti social behaviors', legal ramifications, etc.
    So I drove down, to pick up the dog, and was immediately charged by this little terrorist, who promptly rolled onto her back, at my voice.
    We have spent the last three days, re-learning simlple rules, and she is on the bed as I write this.
    Yesterday, excepting a half hour, at the Vet's, on a tab, she spent eleven hours, at work, at heel, without an issue, and never leashed!
    I own some stupendous guns, with history, documentable, but never have been owned by such an amazing animal. Makes one wonder, I guess, what is really important, in this life!
    My post is to announce the celebration of my re-evaluation, of my purpose in this vail: suddenly, I am thrust into the role of 'dog owner' again, when, in fact, the dog owns me.
    More, tomorrow, as the plot develops, Terry
  2. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

red heelers/blue heelers take ALOT of time & attention... we had to put our blue heeler down this past summer bc she got into a nasty habit of biting people (we put up w/ it for over 2 yrs, but she just got worse). :eek: she was well trained elsewhere, but not worth the liability. :(

well, she was never trained to herd cows, which was our intention when we got her, but she was a faithful couch potato. my parent still have her sister.

sounds like that dog is 1 lucky girl to have you back.:)
  3. Craig

Craig New Member

Stash: You are one very lucky person to be with such a friend.

Sounds to me like someone is trying to tell you where that dog belongs.
    Take the hint, and keep her.
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Good boy stash, sit, now scratch my ears. lol

Sounds like you've got a partner for life if you just let it happen.

Just like my wolf & Me. She picked me and is the best thing that ever happened to me.
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Congrat's Doggy Daddy! :)
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Guys. if there'a a God in Heaven, he's steady teaching me! (Rosarita, you are included!)
    This pretty little girl's momma chewed me up, twice, once on the hand, once on the ankle, before she was 48 hours old!
    I know dogs will bite, and expect the odd happening, but, not here.
    I took her to her second home, that of an old friend, when the lady who owned her expressed concern for agressive behavior, toward bicyles, old men, and diesel vehicles, but all of this was reported, not observed; the second owner, as well, reported the same kind of behavior, and a fear of lawsuits from the same.
    I worked this little girl, from 3 months old, 'til 9 months, on verbal and hand commands, and have never had a more apt student.
    Cut to the present: she has spent the last 4 days with me, at a 'Radio Control' airport (Model Airplanes), my home, my work, which is a fairly busy Garage, at a very busy intersection, totally of any restraint, excepting only the half hour, at the vet's.
    NO issues, of any kind!
    I wanted her the day I saw her, and worked her like she was mine, when she was a pup, rewarded by affection beyond most humans, whether she was being praised, or scolded, fior the benefit of her then, owner, my girlfriend, of several years.
    When she couldn't cope with Georgia, any longer, I found her a 'Country' home, with a fellow I thought, could.
    He struck out, as well, and called me last Friday nite, telling me of her transgressions. I told him I'd be down to get her in the morning, as I would not suffer her loss. WAY too good an animal!
    Rolled up to his door, and the dog charged, with all the voice she has, and rolled on her back, at the single word "Rousch", tongue a gaggle, and tail wagging, shortly to be up in my face, and licking!
    Rosarita, this is the littlest dog I have ever owned, most before being Dobies, Boxers, Rotts, and such, but there is so much personality here, I cannot resist!
    Just last night, in a trip to pick up my reading glasses, the GF asked "If you trust her so much, how about letting your grandson ride his bike, in front of her?"
    She provides 'after school care' for him, til mom can pick him up.
    Sure, I answered, if Giovanni wants to play!
    Kid rode out, at her instruction, and up and down the street, for a half an hour, with the little red heeler, at my ankles, the whole time; he even called to her, "Georgia, come get me, come bite me" several times; talk about invitation, and temptation! She knows him, and well. (Georgia)
    She's been with me, two full (11 Hour) days at work, with cars, trucks, busses, and really every low IQ individual, in the county, with absolutely, NO ISSUES.
    I realise the warning you offered is appropriate, to 'typical' animals, and totally agree, as they are a 'herding' breed, and do what they must, to get their job done.
    This one is almost human! I would walk thru the rowdiest Kindergarten class on earth, with her, off lead, without reservation.
    Rosarita, I appreciate your concern, and advice, but let me throw you a real curve: Is it possible, that a little Red Heeler could pick the home she wanted, and then manipulate the owners, until she got what she wanted??
    I am normally pretty logical, but in this case, I really gotta wonder!
    Bottom line is, she's here 'til one of us dies, off the lead, and provided for, should I be the one to die, first!
    Response is welcomed>
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Ya buddie, I know how you feel!!!

Your story brought a tear to my eye and smile to my face.

So this is how things work around our house. Me, shadow belongs to me. Virginia, she belongs to shadow. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't want it any other way!!

[​IMG]

Sorry the pic is a little dark and you can't see his no tail having ass, born that way. Not cropped.
  8. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

stash ~ i think it's quite possible!! dogs have GOOD memories & they know when someone REALLY cares for them.:) ;)

our yote (her name) wasnt doing the herding type of nipping, she was all out visciously biting people. something wasnt quite "programed" right up stairs. she was extremely SMART, so there was no sending her off to my parents' house, bc she would NOT stay. she was like a homing pigeon.:D (my parents wanted her & would have taken her, had i allowed them to.) over a 2 yr period of time, she got WAY WORSE & she got to were she would NOT listen.... troy is the reason we waited so long to put her down. his final straw was when he witnessed some of her behavior himself (she bit an electrician sub) & the day i almost got trampled by 2 young horses bc we couldnt call her off of them. (i had a pulled muscle in my back that day, so i wasnt moving very fast either.) anyway ~ i hate that it turned out like it did... her sister has NEVER displayed the behavior that yote did & my parents still have her.
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

our yote (her name) wasnt doing the herding type of nipping, she was all out visciously biting people. something wasnt quite "programed" right up stairs. she was extremely SMART,
    Rosie, I wish I could have worked her for two weeks.
    Dogs and kids respond in exactly the same ways, to life's rules, and training, though I will offer the opinion that dogs learn quicker, and ask a lot less questions!
    Both require structure, in their lives, and consistant rules. Both have to understand who the 'Alpha Dog', the patriarch, or matriarch, of the pack.
    "Because I'm the Mom, and I said so", will fly for the first ten years, or so, but then you need more!
    With dogs, one must understand the behavior of their mother, as she 'counsels' pups, and as any other adult dog would do, if of higher 'pack status', if multiple animals are present.
    Georgia is far from my first dog, and not the first Heeler, either, just one with a ton of heart, and personality. Most of my dogs have been 'problem animals' at my acquisition; all, to date, have learned to live responsible, productive lives, although a couple cost me a ton of stitches, to get there.
    Back in '69, or '70, I kinda 'stole' a Sentry dog, from the Army, because she was far too good to be shot up for surgical training, then put down.
    90 # Doberman, who had lost her handler, in a traffic accident, near Ft Bragg. I talked to the Doc, paid for his (long) dinner, knocked her down with Atropine, muzzled her, and hauled her home, put her in the unused back bedroom, unmuzzled her, and promptly was attacked.
    Of course, she was close, and I had my hands at her head, taking off the muzzle, when this developed, so I grabbed a handful of neck, and put her on her side, out of reach of her teeth, until she quit snapping, kicking, and began to whine, the sign of submission, in dogs. 10 years later, she cost me close to three Large, in legal fees, for blowing a pervert out the front door in Los Angeles, Ca, and taking about an ice cream scoop of his face, in the process. The legal fees were mostly 'Contempt Charges' because I continued to run with my, then, 3 Dobies, every morning, even after the "Quarantine" notice was posted. City wanted to know who did the biting, and I played dumb, so they "Quarantined" all three. "Sorta like arresting everybody in a bar, if somebody gets stabbed", I told the guy from the Health Dept; and threw 3 Shot Records, on the counter. "These dogs are healthier, better behaved (ask the cops who made the call), and likely smarter than your children!"
    I'm good with 'hopeless cases', perhaps, because there was a time when most of my world was ready to 'write me off', and I knew it.
    The first rule, of course, with dogs, is to be smarter than the dog, which, in Georgia's case, may have been overlooked; as with Yote, she is smarter than some of the guys I work with!
    She absolutely knows that I will put her on the deck, in a heartbeat, if she goes 'over the line' in her behavior, but as well, values "pretty girl, good girl", a million times more than"Bad girl, bad dog"; that will put her tail between her legs in a New York minute!
    We have established, long ago, that I am the 'Alpha Dog', around here, and she understands her status; I am merciless with correction, if I think the 'rule' might not be clear, in her mind, or 'punishment' if she has worked to the rule, in the past. Every day, the same way.
    For dogs that just 'go off', I use 20' or so of 550# parachute cord, on the collar, and 'round a chunk of broomstick; yank them over on their back, every time they charge a stranger, bicyclist, diesel truck, and they learn, pretty quick, if you are there to pin them to the ground, 'til they whine!
    This is 'Monday Morning Quarterbacking' in your case, I know, and I wish I had heard of the problem, sooner!
    I truly believe that God makes no 'Bad' dogs, but a lot of 'less than knowledgeable' owners.
    Come up to speed, and understand them; they are the most faithful and willing friends on the earth; My little red terrorist has come home, and will remain, until one of us dies, because I will do what I must, to make it so, and, as the 'Alpha Dog', have the power to do so!
    I truly believe they are more noble than people, in their loyalty; it never varies, and a good dog is a better companion, than a good(?) spouse!
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Berto, I'm not sure what we agreed upon, but 'bad dog' salvation is one of the lights in my life; most of their problems are attributable to lousy handlers, or owners.
    Unfortunately, my means are limited, so I must be selective, in my 'rescues', but there is no excuse for a good dog, with a few bad habits, to be put down!
    If I can teach a dog to perform, in two or three languages, at no more than a spoken word, and trust the animal, anywhere, how hard can it be?
    I'm not real smart, but I don't have to be, just, smarter than my charges.
    Just now, Georgia followed me out to the kitchen, and, when I turned back to the office, simply looked at me; "Lai dei", and she followed, a point, and a snap, of my fingers, and she's back on the bed.
    A friggen Texas heeler, working to Vietnamese; who would have believed?
    My point is uncertain, but my aim, confirmed
    I would gladly spend the rest of my life, rehabilitating alleged 'problem dogs' if I could find the way to do it!
  12. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

stash ~ i wish i'd known before.... i'd have sent her to you!:)

unfortunately, my time these days is scarce. :( i've enjoyed working w/ problem dogs in the past & have even been offered $$ for working w/ other people's problem dogs & 1 time, a problem WOLF!:eek: (w/ the wolf, i was 5 mos. pregnant w/ ashley at the time, the owner was a TOTAL LOSER & i turned him down. when i turned him down, i told him he was a LOSER & didnt deserve that animal.)
  13. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Stash, that's great to hear that you and Georgia are together again! :)
  14. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I was agreeing that a good dog is a better companion than a Good(?) spouse.

Pudgy is my rock. Always there.
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

Berto, what's a 'good spouse'?
    SoMo, we are,and it's a marriage made in Heaven
    The both of you, it's not without legal risk, or potential problems, that we rejoin, but rather, she's too good a dog to be put down!
    I do 'Hopeless cases' not out of love for the owners, but for some damned fine dogs, worth far more than the idiots, who formerly owned them; whether they go back to their former owners, is at my discetion, by prior agreement!
    Georgia was owned by my girlfriend, an 'animal smart' lady, but not up to this 'Personality Plus' dog; she needed an 'out' which was, at the time, a former military dog handler, 30 miles south.
    So. I pick up, and re-locate the dog, a 'Honeymoon' that lasted four months, with David, until he called, Friday Night, having poblems, with her!
    To me, in most cases, a dog is a dog, but this litltle lady is far and away the smartest I have ever worked; she 'get's it' in an hour, where other dogs take a day!
    She works to hand signals, or verbal commands, like a robot!
    Better yet, 'Bad dog' is all the initiative she needs, to change behavior!
    Spent the morning, with Rachel, in Harper, Tx, shopping for doves, at a livestock auction, and the afternoon, in Luchenbach,Tx, with the dog at heel, 3 feet from my feet, amidst a hoarde of loud motorcycles, with no issues; she was a perfect lady!
    She spent last week, 11 hours a day, with me at work, in a busy garage, people in and out,all day, every day, without issue, as well!
    And, I will add, the 1/2 hour of 'on leash ' time was at the vet's, by his rules; Saturday, at Luchenbach, they request the dogs be on a leash, so, complied, but gave the other end to the dog, as that was not real specific!
    A lot of folks spoke to me, about the dog being 'on her own leash', all on the 'plus ' side, and several wanted to take her home, to which my answer was, of course, 'not a chance'
    I'm beginning to think that the root problem was that the dog was smarter than either prior owner; I work her hard, like walking around a grocery store parking lot, with many distractions, lots of people, animals,and vehicles, on a short, but verbal, lead, and yet have to deal with problems; she's just that good!
    I've worked a couple of 'smaller' dogs, before, but most of my experience is with 'substantial' animals,Dobies, Rots, Shepherds, and such, dogs that could darn well 'take you home', right now!
    This little girl has the heart of a lion, the a** of a lamb, with no regard to the difference, and would go to the wall, in a heartbeat, if she thought I were threatened.
    WTF do I do, with her? As I said, "too good to be put down", and "too smart for previus owners", seem to apply, we have a happy deal, up to the moment!