shipping ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by topper, Dec 26, 2009.

1. topper

topper New Member

Can .22 rimfire ammo be bought over the internet and shipped DIRECTLY to the buyer without going through a FFL dealer? Sorry to ask this, but I just don't know.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think so, but it is probably HAZMAT with applicable shipping requirements. When I order surplus ammo, it arrives via FedEx.
  3. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

I've bough on internet and it was shipped directly to me. They don't consider it hazmat, it comes marked orm-d. Shipping charges are what gets you, though. Better to buy in bulk if ordering on internet. It was delivered FedEx or UPS to me.
  4. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

If you buy on the internet, I suggest you go through Midway. They seem to have the best prices when it comes to shipping.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I order 22 ammo via the internet and the last bunch was from Midway. But that will end soon as the CA legislature, you know that liberal bunch of dummies in Sacramento who can't add the budget up so it comes out balanced, decided that handgun ammo was BAD. So they passed a law with several not so good "features":

1). all handgun ammo must be out of view of the customer

2). all ammo sales will be documented with name, address, and other details verified with ID

3). a finger print will be taken

4). you can only buy 50 rounds a month and unless there is a loop hole in the law I suppose that means no Internet sales (??)

5). if a handgun was ever made in a caliber then the law covers that caliber as well (think of all the rifle ammo that has been used in Thompson Contenders!)

Don't you feel safer now!

LDBennett
  6. res45

res45 New Member

topper in the majority of states it's not a problem shipping ammo directly to your door. In my state of NC all that is required is that you be 21 years of age and email the vendor a scanned copy of your drivers license.

There is no HAZMAT fee to ship ammo that only applies to powder and primers for reloading,you can even ship primed brass with no HAZMAT fee.

Ammo is shipped via UPS or FEDX because the US postal service although they follow DOT regulations will not handle or ship powder,primers or loaded ammunition. I've bought ammo of all kinds off the net for many years and never had to pay any extra fee just standard shipping cost and it came right to my door.

http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think it is HAZMAT, at least it is according to the FedEx website.....

Attached Files:

8. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I have bought a lot of ammo via the internet and have never had any problem with HAZMAT stuff. That usually only applies to primers and powder. If you state law allows the ammo to be shipped to you then just the shipping should apply.

Old Guy
  9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Everyone can draw their own conclusions from the black and white statement from FedEx. I imagine if anything should happen due to the non-disclosure of the contents, a person could get into a heap of trouble. We all know how packages are treated by shipping companies.
  10. res45

res45 New Member

No Co. can ship firearms and ammo in the same package via FedX or UPS.

Graf and Sons FAQ

Hazardous Materials
    Q: What is your hazardous material fee?

A: A hazardous materials fee (haz mat fee) of $22.50 is charged to any ground order containing powder, primers, fuse or gun cleaning liquids over 1 quart. This fee is per package with a max gross weight of 70 lbs/package. Smokeless powder and primers can be combined (up to 50 lbs) under 1 haz mat fee. Black powder requires a separate fee and cannot be combined with any other hazardous materials. Hazardous Materials require an adult signature for delivery. ID may be required at delivery for proof of age. See Terms and Conditions for more details.
    Q: What is the minimum quantity of powder/primers I can order?

A: The minimum order of powder is 4 lbs. The minimum order for primers is 1,000 primers.
    Q: Is the haz mat fee required for ammunition?

A: The haz mat fee does not apply to ammunition unless shipped via air ($32.50).
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  11. Willie

Willie Active Member

I order online all the time and the stuff comes to me no problems at all. It is marked as Ordinance however. UPS or Fed-ex just leaves it on my porch most times. Another point for Texas!
  12. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

Loaded ammunition can be shipped without a hazmat fee. Powder and Primers must have a hazmat fee. I've bought .22's from Cabelas a few times, straight to me, just shipping charges.

I think the loaded ammo can be shipped without a hazmat because if it is caught in a fire it just pops apart, and detonating one case will not set off the entire box. Primer's will likely set off the entire box if one should go, and that can be a powerful explosion. Similarly, powder jugs if caught on fire have a large amount of energy in them and can be dangerous when ignited.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In Fla. I always have to PAY THE hAZMAT FEE IF ORDERING POWDER OR PRIMERS AND IF i REMEMBER THAT FAR BACK i AM PRETTY SURE i PAID IT ON .223'S AS WELL. i NEVER (stupid caploks) bought .22's online as it is cheap enough here as to not want to pay shipping or hazmat. How many .22's are you talking about?