Shipping costs are outta control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greeker375, Apr 7, 2008.

1. greeker375

greeker375 New Member

I shipped a 6" Python to Florida Friday and was told it had to go FedEx, as UPS wouldn't take a handgun. On top of FedEx, it had to go OVERNIGHT EXPRESS! Why? Is overnight express more secure than regular FedEx? On top of that the shipper told me if I wanted it there Saturday it would cost $20 more...DAAAAAHH why? Isn't shipping friday and delivering Saturday OVERNIGHT? As a matter of fact it won't be delivered until today - MONDAY!! Shouldn't it be cheaper? Imagine $60.00 to ship a pistol.

Anybody know of a cheaper method?
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

It's required by law. Though, I've had a handgun shipped to my gun dealer via USPS Priority, just needed a signature confirmation and for bloody 'ell's sake get insurance. They shouldn't ask why, they just do what you ask.

Just be sure you do not put anything that would make them think it's a gun, just use a plain box or a USPS Priority box, nothing fancy. Also, put "Fragile" or "Handle With Care", that usually goes hand and hand with insurance.

Also, when you are putting the shipping address, be sure you put the name of FFL holder's name, not his business name, that's usually a red flag with that stuff.

Oh, Maryland. Well, you may have a harder time with Post Offices in that area. Then again, you may be able to get away with this method but be careful.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Shipping a handgun via USPS from FFL to FFL is I believe legal. If you can have a FFL holder mail it for you it may be less expensive than the other legal alternatives. Trying to ship handguns USPS in any other manner is a violation of Federal law and may make you liable for a very bad day. Like the cost of everything else associated with our sport the cost of delivery is expensive.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Also, with FEDEX make SURE to get "signature required". We just lost our butts on a $500 plotter machine that disapeared & HAD INSURANCE but no signature required & they are not paying us anything:mad:. We ship about 30-100 packages a day with FEDEX. We're switching to UPS pretty quick. With signature required the driver has to make sure it gets to someone on the other side. Our package was left front of someone's house & then it it disapeared. The FEDEX driver is not liable-we are.
  5. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

my dear friend
    if you think shipping costs are outta control just think that here in ecuador the president of ecuador put a law banning the importation of guns to ecuador thus making them so high price that if you complain about shipping, try paying 3800 dollars for a beretta 92 or worse my taurus pt 99 will end up costing as much as 2500 each a walther p99 with 3 mags costs around 3500
    so please enjoy all the freedom that you guys have and please practice as much as you can for me cause here a box of 50 9mm costs around 100 dollars.
    take care

vr

gl
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Pop:

How could they sell you the insurance and not tell you of the signature required? I would file a small claim if I had to on that one.

Gunlearner:

What is causing the high prices? Is there a government tax or are the retailer just gouging? Whatever it is it's certainly both outrageous and sad.
  7. Willie

Willie Active Member

I hope a lot of people see this. And notice.
    Thanks GL.
  8. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

the new tax on guns is 300 % so if your gun costs 500 dollars just add the 300% + the actual shippment and the process of customs, in adition the process of registering all guns with the armed forces in ecuadro is a law so you can´t have an unregister gun (you go automatically to jail for 3 to 5 years) and they say this measure is to reduce crime (stupid people) don´t realize that delincuents do not ask for permits thus making the black market big on guns and ammo
    some people say that is because the goverment wants to make a gun (condor) with tangfolio licence to be the only gun sold in ecuador, if that is the case and the parts are not made in ecuador then i guess the guns will be good (nothing like a kimber or any 1911 to be honest)
    i hope you people enjoy the things you take for granted
    ecuador is a great country the people that they put in power are the ones with the wrong ideas (i did not vote for them)
    you have no idea what i give to have the chance to take me and my family to your country and become someone productive to society (all legal of course) but i will never go to your country as an iligal immigrant
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Ok so a $500 gun will have a $1500 tax. Sounds like an Obama dream come true.

Why don't you register with the Imigration service and apply for citizenship. We need more law abiding gun toters here.
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

Gunlearner, I am sorry to hear about your countrys restrictions of your freedoms. I hope things change for the better.

ART
  11. Mac's!

Mac's! New Member

Yes, FFL's can ship handguns to each other via USPS and violating that regulation (FFL's on both ends) can get you in hot water.

Yes, Joe Civilian can ship handguns via UPS and FedEx but it has to be to a FFL holder and it must go via Priority Overnite. Yes, that can get really expensive, especially if it's a round trip like for refinishing or repairs.

The reason UPS and FedEx went to "Priority Overnite required for handguns" is so that it will cut down the time that it's in their possession. Less time equals less liabilty. It's not expensive because it's a handgun...it's expensive because it's Priority Overnite. (They were "losing" to many firarms!)

When shipping firearms:
    1...Do not mark the box GUN.
    2...Do not mess with third party shippers like Mailboxes, etc. It it gets "lost" the shippers will blame the shipping store who will blame you, etc. and you know who will not get paid the insurance!
    3...Don't try to cheat the system and ship a handgun as "machined parts" via a slower and cheaper method. If it gets stolen and turns up at a crime scene, guess who may be held liable? Plus, just try to collect the insurance!
    4...Long guns can be shipped via FedEx Ground and even mailed via The Post Office. (I'm not sure about UPS)
    5...Many shipping clerks, especially in the gun un-freindly states don't know they can ship firearms and may argue with you. I was once told that ALL guns are illegal so of course they wont ship one!
    6...The shippers (FedEx & UPS) are only concerned with handguns getting stolen while in their custody and turning up at a crime scene. Even though the Feds consider the frame the handgun, to the shippers it's just a part.
    7...Always ship it Signature Required.

Many of our Customers will obey the rules and still beat the high cost of shipping a handgun by field stripping it, keeping some important parts at home, wrapping the rest of the parts in seperate packages, boxing it all up together and shipping it as parts. The rule of thumb is to ask: Can a functional handgun be assembled with only what's in this box? Another option is to ship it in two seperate boxes. Remember: The Feds consider the frame the firearm but to the shippers, it's just a part. Hope this helps.
    Keep yer powder dry, Mac.