1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Shipping Firearms

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

nevada paul
    (3/7/02 3:40:46 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Shipping Firearms
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have agreed with a gunsmith in a neighboring state about the rebarreling of one of my rifles. He suggests I send him the rifle, but then my local UPS agent tells me I must have his signed FFL.

I checked the BATF site on this issue, it appears to me that either USPS or any common carrier (UPS) can accept and ship a long gun from any lawful owner to any FFL holder without benefit of a signed FFL.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions with this?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 3:53:01 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Shipping Firearms
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you specify that the firearm is being "shipped to a licensed FFL for repair", and it is double boxed, or in a hard case within a cardboard box, UPS should take it for shipment. However, we have often had discussions on this - local UPS clerks and supervisors are often ignorant of the regulations and will tell you "NO"!

At my local UPS, when I go in the door, if I see a particular clerk at the desk, I just turn around and leave, come back later. The jerk still gives me a hard time even though I have a C&R FFL - he just does not want to handle firearms. The other guys that work there are no problem.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/7/02 4:17:44 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Shipping Firearms
    just call UPS for a pick up at your location, it will
    be a few bucks cheaper too!

Welcome Aboard nevada paul!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Edited by: Tac401 at: 3/7/02 4:21:28 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 4:18:11 pm)
    Well, allow me to stir this a small amount. Hope the clerk does not know the law......lets talk UPS policies (rules) Granted most don`t know their companies policies on this, but! UPS and Fed-Ex require ALL firearms be shipped and received buy FFL`s.....spank me if you like, but those are their rules and clerks know little more than how to punch a clock, some have string afixed to their car, in order to find their way back home. Use USPS for this adventure. LTS

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/7/02 4:25:14 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Shipping Firearms
    I agree with LTS, use the Post Office, we strictly
    ship all of our firearms via the Postal Service, it's
    much safer too.

Send it registered insured with return Receipt!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 4:36:21 pm)
    Hey - I think Polishshooter has some shot-out Mosin Nagant barrels that have been used as prybars - ship it to him for a barrel replacement and you will get a gun pretzel back! Guaranteed Polish craftsmanship!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

nevada paul
    (3/7/02 4:43:55 pm)
    Thanks for all the informed input. Sounds like USPS is the safe and hassle free way to go. Never thought a government agency would be more safe and hassle free than its free enterprise counterpart. Sad state for UPS!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 5:50:04 pm)
    Hi nevada paul......and welcome to TFF!

deadeye006
    (3/7/02 6:19:37 pm)
    Welcome, nevada paul! Kick back, relax, and stay a while.

Darla so Dreadly
    (3/7/02 7:27:25 pm)
    for the record, I prefer the post office over any other corporate owned method of shipping

"I don't think I'll ever be Queen, so just give me my M-14"