shock-absorbing pistol grips

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by caldwell, Nov 4, 2009.

1. caldwell

caldwell New Member

Does any company (besides Pachmayr) make shock-absorbing pistol grips?

I ordered the Pachmayr Presentation # RB03137, which is listed in the Lyman Products Corp. (the distributor for Pachmayr) catalog for the Ruger New Model Blackhawk. But the grip absolutely doesn't fit my pistol.

Lyman explained to me today that Lyman has recently learned that Pachmayr grips will not fit any of the Ruger pistols that (like mine) have an internal lock (internal safety bar).

I would surely appreciate contact info for a source for a shock-absorbing grip for my pistol.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Dang, I have been looking for Blackhawk grips too. Hogue has a monogrip, but I don't know for sure if it will fit this model either. I was thinking of just getting some walnut grips for it.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The problem is with terminology.

Ruger made a gun. They changed the way they made in, starting in 1973. So they are called Old Model and New Model.

Couple of years ago, they redesigned their gun. This gun is called the New Blackhawk. Not the New Model Blackhawk, the New Blackhawk. It is the one with the lock in the grip. The grip frame is different from the older guns, both the Old Model Blackhawk and the New Model Blackhawk. Confused? You are not alone.

Apparently, you have a "New Blackhawk". The grips you bought were for a "New Model Blackhawk". And, yeah, as you found out, they don't even come close to fitting.

Best as I can tell, the only two rubber grip companies left are Pachmyar and Hogue. Neither of them list the "New Blackhawk" on their websites.
  4. caldwell

caldwell New Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your detailed and swift responses to my inquiry. The caring and sharing and knowledgeable folks who are the life force of this firearms forum are such a blessing to me.