Shoot 'Em Til They Drop Theory...

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Brian@ITC, Feb 4, 2009.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Tranter, I used to tell myself, "Hey, this is less dangerous than being a big city taxi driver." :D

To be fair though, the fundamentals of personnel protection have some aspects that make some certain minded people cringe...like 1. using your body to shield a principle 2. in a small 5-man team the 1 on the side of a close threat stays behind alone 3. having to leave a mate behind in a deadly circumstance. This is a real hard one, to not only just say out loud but to actually practice and train to leave one of your own behind, even if just awhile. The hardest thing for me to get my brain around was the old grenade drill...when the warning "grenade" is yelled all grunts are instilled to drop belly down and protect your head...but as a bodyguard you cannot do this or you could just be laying down for a fake grenade so a backdoor Bob can walk up and just shoot you all in the back, or worse a real grenade then Bob; the bodyguard TTP is to lay on your back (if you aren't shielding principle), eyes open head searching, sidearm in two hand grip and prepared to deal with whatever may happen, either a blast or a Bob or both. This to me was more unnatural than charging at a guy and such.

Having said all that, let me be clear that 99.9% of personnel protection is survivability through good tactics, techniques, and procedures; Every aspect, no matter how suicidal three or four may sound, is the best way in the worst scenario to end a threat. You just have to understand that you may be required to greatly increase your risk to increase the safety of your principle, so some parts of the thing are hard to like. Anyway, if you like having a very clear purpose on the job, it's pretty fulfilling work.
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Delta, I had occasion to deal with an American, Mr Leroy Thompson, do you know of him?
  3. delta13soultaker

Only as much that he's an author from looking on google. Same man?
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Yep. Old school bodyguard. Wrote books on the subject.
  5. delta13soultaker

Ah okay, I think you mentioned him before maybe or was it someone else. It is possible I've read his work. I guess it is likely. But I'm pretty sure I've never met him or heard him speak. Did he work with military, diplomatic, or commercial? My formal training for what I was detailed was through DoD schools and in the house, and some temporary duty time to learn/brief ideas from Israel, Saudi, Mexico etc...fairly broad net. Now I wonder if I've learned anything from his influence.

I'd like to check his work, but for now I've got chapters of technical writing and some chapters of counseling text books to read...wish that was as fun as this. :)