shoot or reclaim old 762x54r milsurp?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I was digging thru the closet and pulled out my svt 40 to put some projectiles down range, my buddy came over with some mosin.. i'm not up on all the models.. 1891 i think. in any case.. he had a bunch of paper wrapped 15/ round packs tied with twine.. .. milsurp i assume.

i pack has discolored paper.. unwrapping shows some patina and ? discoloration on the copperwashed? steel cases. not rust per se.. but that batch deffinately is turning. rest of the packs were nice and bright.

we left that one untouched. i fired some newer milsurp thru mine and while packing up discoved 3/4 box of norma i had bought back in 96 when i got the svt.

is the norma brass boxer?

in any case.. i'm thinking about pulling the bullets on the 15 discolored ones, deactivating the primers then tossing the scrap steel. considered dumping all the powder into the lawn.. or catching it, measuring and then divide back out and then use up my norma brass ( and hoping it is boxer ) on the next outing .. leaving me with 15 empties for the 15 sets of pulled projectiles and reclaimed powder.

( or should i dump the powder? )

lastly, i think my lman digital scale will do grams.. but havn't checked... i need to find out what weight projectiles the milsurp is.. they look bigger than the 150's on my norma.
    i tossed a single tarnished loaded round into my vibro tumbler as we cleaned our weapons to remove corrosive salts.

the round that came out looked good.. obviously some plating was physically eaton away.. butt he case was un-pitted and the rim was intact.

my next thought is forget the trouble of pulling, and just tumble them clean then shoot them.

it IS a soviet rifle.. it will probably digest even dirty ammo.. :)

i welcome comments as to what avenue to persue. obviously its no big issue.. it's not like i have 500 rnds to decide to pull or shoot. it's just 15 out of 75 he brought over...
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

Personally I live by the mantra of "when in doubt, throw it out." Goes for leftover food AND ammunition - lol

My Mosin 91/30 pretty much shoots anything so I guess I'd have to actually have suspect ammo in hand and then decide. But really, we're talking about maybe $7 worth of 7.62x54? I would not grieve over not shooting the stuff and just keeping it in a ziploc for future burial.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'd pull them apart, keep the slugs, feed the garden and even if they are berdan primed I'd pop them off in the chamber and throw the cases in my scrap steel can.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

shoot em. They aint gonn hurt any of the weapons you described.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i *think* i have some sort of a chinese copy of a mosin in my closet in a gun sock somewhere. i vaugely remember getting it from a pawn shop many years ago.. ws buba- refinished with sanded stock and cheap polyurethane finish.. remember it was a 762x54r rifle.. but had chinese characters on it.

guess I could throw that in the mix. I've shot milsurp thru it before. was an unremarkable gun as i recall.. shorter.. carbine length. I don't get rid of guns.. so it SHOULD still be somewhere assuming my ex didn't get it in the great seperation in 97 ;)