The Firearms Forum banner

shooters sticky reliability tricks

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
This is a great sticky. But didn't sink in till I researched more and found this site.
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm
This includes pics. I'm a visual kind of person. I've also read this a few tomes with tools in hand.

So I've chamferd the forward edge of the locking lugs on both the frame and barrel. Polished the ramp and throat, polished the breech face, slightly chamferd the firing pin hole.

I have not shaped the ejector yet. I'm not positive I need to nor have I opens up the ejection port in the slide. I see were I could open the port up but why? If I saw signs of cases hitting the slide I'd have a carbide bur in my die grinder in a flash but I don't so I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

I took the polishing a step further. I've polished with 600 paper(want 1200) I polishedthe muzzle and barrel bushing. After polishing my muzzle measure .580in bushing . 581 I thought this was pretty tight clearance but after researching some aftermarket stuff goes tigter.

Then there the barrel to ramp clearance. Sposed to have a minimum of 1/32 Max of 1/16. Mine is on the very tight side or atleast looks like it. Been meaning graphics my feeler gauges to measure it.
gyration is what is the purpose of this gap and why. My mind thinks backwords and that maybe less gap would be better.

I'm in the process of taking pics of all the work I've done. I worked n it pretty much everynight after work this week. That's roughly 8hrss or so of polishing

See less See more
#2 ·
pics

lugs

couldnt get decent pic of the lugs in the slide

didnt quite revove tool marks on the bottom and breech

i now want to polish the hammer were the frame slides over it.

bushing, this was trouble spot on my compact its now smother then most slides ive racked wich isnt many.

ramp and throat

i want to hit this with 1200 working my way up from 600. theres possislby a few hours hours of polishing here when i have time.

i tired to get pic of the ejector and how much material cold be removed to open up the ejection port but i see no dings or scratches so ill leave it alone

thats it for now untill i buy some finer paper or maybe some fine polishing compounds and work my way up to a even smoother then 600 grit finish.

#3 ·
lookin good.

.001" between the barrel and bushing at the muzzle is ideal tolerance. Sure you can go tighter but not much tighter than .0005" because it will start to bind up.

The green machine uses a Briley spherical, I ordered the exact diameter of the barrel and lapped them to fit with 800 grit silicon carbide lapping compound, tolerance is .0005" and it does bind a tad at lockup. its hard to do a press check on that pistol. But boy does she shoot good..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.