Shootin' steel with FMJ's

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by garydude, Feb 4, 2011.

1. garydude

garydude Member

Any problems doing this? I mostly shoot steel and have been using plated because I read somewhere it's best to not shoot steel with FMJ's. Thanks for any input.

Also I want to buy some Roze bullets, but they are out, out, out. Any other good jacketed bullet mfrs?
  2. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I shoot steel with FMJ all the time. Its advised to use lead or softpoint bullets because it minimizes the chance of ricochet.

In 10 years I have yet to have one bounce back at me...
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I do it too, and haven't had any problems. I do have some FMJ that will shoot thru the steel targets, but I know that, so I don't waste them.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Fifteen years ago I shot at an indoor range (and for the ten years prior to that) once a week come ran or shine. During that time I shot jacketed, plated and cast lead bullet. The range had angled steel back plates that they changed once a month. Those plates were 50 feet from the shooting positions. About every other week I felt splash back from bullets striking the upset surface of the steel plates. Since it was a rather active range there almost always were other shooters using the range. I could not tell if it was pieces of my bullet or that of others or what kind of bullet. The bottom line is at that close distance you can and probably will get splash back, especially from jacketed bullets.

At an outdoor range years ago I was shooting my 45-70 at a steel plate about 25 yds away. A piece of the jacket from the hollow point 45-70 bullet came back to hit my friend's face and drew blood.

It is never a good idea to shoot jacketed bullets at steel plates unless you are at least 50 to 100 yds away from them, in my experience. Jacketed bullets are especially bad in this respect because the jacket can breakup into small pieces. Cast lead bullets probably are OK but I still would keep them 50 yds away. If you don't suffer at least one splash back in your lifetime from shooting at steel plates too close to you then you are just plain lucky and need to buy a lotto ticket.

LDBennett
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

it wont hurt anything to shoot steel with jacketed as said. when a bullet hits steel at a right angle it smashes and throws pieces of the disintegrated bullet on both sides, up, down and some back towards the shooter. it's recommended to be 15 yard from the target so you dont experience splatter and wear safety glasses

i shoot a bunch of steel with all types of ammo and calibers
  7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

About 30 years ago, while practiceing on a civilian range for an up-comming Service Rifle match for an ARNG Rifle Team, one of my team mates and me were invited to shoot our M-14s at some animal silohuetes...... Turned out to be a nice invitation, but a bad idea. Our M-118 Match 7.62 NATO ammo shot clean holes in those things. The owners of those targets were not mad at us - just that they were as surprised as we at the damage.
  8. Whipper

Whipper New Member

9. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

We shoot steel with FMJ's all the time with no problems at IDPA and GSSF matches. If you are interested in buy Zero bullets check out Powder Valley. I shoot a lot of Zero bullets, great bullets.
  10. garydude

garydude Member

Thank you Gentlemen for the replies. I am truly grateful to be a member of this forum.

RustyFN, at what distance do you shoot the steel targets in competition?
  11. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

i shoot 9mm fmj at steel quite often from about 20 ft + had some splashback from 357mag with jhp but never a chunk big enough do anything
  12. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

The closest steel targets we shoot are around 11 yards.