Shootin the Lead Out

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by steve4102, Jan 10, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I've been testing out lead bullets in my 10MM 1911. I found they work great, I found they are accurate and I found I have very little if any leading. All good.

My question is about switching over from lead to jacketed in the same range session. I is OK to switch from lead to jacketed without removing whatever minor lead deposits I may have left in the barrel?

What about switching from jacketed to lead? Any reason I should not do this without cleaning?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

If there is only minor leading, then I dont' feel that it's a "must" to clean it prior to shooting jacketed bullets. If there's significant leading, then I think it is a must to clean it before firing ANY more bullets, regardless of type.

There is no issues from going from jacketed to lead.

Once you start shooting a known lead loading, you'll know when/if you need to clean your barrel. A good lead load shouldn't lead to the point of needed frequent cleaning; most shouldn't lead the barrel at all if you've got a proper lube and not driving them too fast.

On that note though, I do have one load that will lead quite abit and it's 158gn FN for my 357; it's only going to get shot 6 times and nothing wants to be on the receiving end of that load. The leading isn't too bad after only 6 rounds and the speed loader that will get dropped into the gun next has HP's.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

If you are working up accurate loads for paper shooting with cast bullets you must clean. Firearms with copper jacket residue in the bore will not provide the most accurate bullet placement with cast lead. A barrel used for cast loads will improve over time if no jacketed bullets are fired in it. If you are just shooting fun targets it makes little difference.:)
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A compromise that works in my Colt Delta Elite 10mm is plated bullets. I use Rainier 180 gr 10mm bullets.

When I shot cast lead bullets I had to dig the lead out of the barrel in the area just ahead of the chamber. With the plated bullet loaded to cast bullet specs I get no leading or other deposits. For full loads I use Hornady's 200 gr FMJ truncated cone bullets. But I rarely shoot those full loads as the gun gets too exciting in the hand. There is no hurt but the gun twists as it is fired. No other gun I own shot at any published load twists like my Colt Delta Elite on full load 200 gr bullets.

LDBennett
  5. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

If there are lead deposits in the barrel, would there not be possible pressure concerns if you followed with copper projectiles?
  6. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Yes if you are shooting a Glock. Shooting lead in a Glock is not recomeded. Shooting jackets over lead has caused many Glocks to blow out. Many shooters have been hurt doing this. Any handgun that will not shoot cast bullets can not live at my house.:(