Shooting a "Grease Gun"

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by DeeDubya, Nov 27, 2012.

1. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

Some while back a Class 3 dealer buddy of mine brought out a Thompson (100% condition) and an M3A1 Grease Gun for our shooting enjoyment. I found the M3A1 even more difficult to control than the Thompson. The open breech trigger pull is at least 15 lbs and the gun is so light and non-ergonomic that it would be useful at only very close range. I think they were issued as tank guns because of their small size. Don't laugh please, I'm not a sub-machinegunner by any means. Notice the "trigger jerk" after the last round. Strange little gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHEUjLWYQqQ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

The M3A1 was still being issued in Nam in '66. Thompson's could also be had on the black market in DaNang. Fired both myself, and they are difficult to control, but sure are fun. :)
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Being in the "Cav." in Vietnam, we carried about every kind of personal weapon there was including Thompsons and the M3. They fit nicely behind the seat of our rather cramped cockpits. If I recall correctly, the M3 was designed for tankers who had similar problems on the inside of their tanks.

It's fun (different) to shoot, more than almost anything else. No selector switch for "semi" fire, just "safe" & "auto" The cyclic rate is slow, espeicially when compared to my CAR-15, but the M3 was controlable to shoot fairly accurately. Not a long range gun by any means. Anything under 50 yards and you're good.

Thompsons were a hoot also! :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

5. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

We still had the Grease Guns in our armory when I joined the National Guard in the 1990's. This was the first fully automatic weapon that I ever shot.
  6. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

A quality suppressor on the greese gun will get rid of the control ability issue for you..
  7. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

HUH?

The control issues are from muzzle rise not noise. A compensator might help but I'm sure ole Sam would laugh in my face if I suggested it.
  8. whirley

whirley Member

Called a grease gun because of it's comparatively slow rate of fire. It sounds like the old air operated grease guns used to lubricate cars during WW2 and before. It;s possible because of the slow cyclic rate to fire single shots. Ka-pok, ka-pok. Only safety was a closed cover on the ejection port. I fired eleven before I found one that was accurate at 50 yards. That one became MINE!
  9. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

I thought the name implied that they looked like a grease gun, which they do. But now that you mention it, they sound like one too. Awesome. It appears that the barrel just screws off and would be quickly replaceable in the field. Is that correct?
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I carried an M3 my 2d and 3d tour in country.. During the 3d tour rules came down to secure all arms in the arms room unless going out on mission, so I secured my M16 but my "personal" weapon was with me always.
  11. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Ok I guess you are not a NFA guy. A suppressor does not just cut noise but can drastically reduce or almost eliminate muzzle jump ( recoil ). I have a AAC Cyclops for my 82A1 and with it on a kid can shoot it np. It reduces recoil about 80 percent or more over just the brake.

Here is a video of me shooting my m16 with a 10.5 inch barrel on fa with a suppressor attached note how little the muzzle moves. Sans suppressor it is all over the place. http://youtu.be/lAPDLp9rxDo
  12. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

You're right I'm not a NFA guy. And I wasn't aware that a suppressor can so dramatically reduce recoil. However, I don't think I would put one on an M3A1 if for no other reason than appearance. :D
  13. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

They can be threaded on and threaded right back off. I would rather be able to hit what I am aiming at then worry about how the firearm looks. MY m16 shown has a QD ( quick Detach ) flash hider allowing the suppressor to be screwed on with 4 turns and off with the same 4. However you need a good quality over mitt to take it off hot and it will sear the skin off you have with one mag dump though it.

You can use a simple thread on can and with a well made thread protector installed you will not even know the barrel was threaded.

This is what it looks like without the suppressor.

[​IMG]
  14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

anyone shot a thompson, greasgun, and a reising?

how do they all compair?
  15. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I have shot all those. IMHO the best older sub gun was the Swedish K the best controllable sub gun of its time. The best modern sub gun IMHO is still the H&K mp5 I am a little bias as I love mine.

The best design for current production subguns is the Kriss they are amazing to shoot on fa. Of course we the people are unable to buy one..