shooting a person

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Jan 25, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

if you shot someone with .22 would the bullet go thru that person or would it depend on what u hit? If it went thru that person how far would it go?:confused:
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Standard velocity? Hollow point? Distance from gun to body? Body size? Bullet strikes what body part? Hits bone? I have no clue.......
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i don't know either i was just throwing it out there? i was just wondering if i ever had to shoot someone and the bullet went thru them is it possible that the bullet might end up in the house across the street killing someone else?
  4. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

22 rounds in most forms are likely to get sidetracked and bounce around the soft organs and tissue instead of a clean pass thru. Many 22 gunshot wounds that dont seem to be life threatening at the time can end up in death a few days later from internal bleeding and organ damage. Hits to the bone can fragment and do lots of superficial tissue and muscle damage. The bullet can also ricochet off the bone and cut thru arteries, lungs and anything else in the way. I know of one police officer that was shot in the head at point blank. The bullet entered at an angle on one side of his head then followed the scalp around and exited on the other side. He said it gave him a terrible headache and got very pissed off. He then proceeded to beat the hell out of the guy that shot him. If back up didnt arrive when it did, he said he would have beat the guy to death.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i thought only HP bounced around like that
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

That is a great question. Part of your responsibility of a shooter is where
    your bullets go, even if you miss. It's also another reason why carrying a
    weapon is such a great responsibilty.

Many people who get shot in 'drive by shootings' are not intended victims.
  7. red14

red14 Active Member

DOH !!!
  8. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

Its highly unlikely the 22 would pass thru cleanly and still have enough energy to travel thru an exterior wall.
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so true Red that's why i was asking. I live in a condo with people one wall away and if i had to shoot anyone i would have to be aware of how i was shooting would not want to shoot towards that wall if i could help it
  10. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I've been to a bunch of autopsies from .22 wounds. Stood outside a ladys bathroom door and tried to talk her into putting the .22 pistol down once. She wanted to show her husband he wasn't listening to her so she put the gun to her right shoulder and pulled the trigger. At the autopsy the doctor showed us how the bullet bounced off her shoulder bone, then richocheted around her chest cavitiy, hitting heart, lungs, and liver. Killed her on the spot.
    Another fellow had his demented cousin put a .22 rifle to the center of his chest and pull the trigger. That bullet blew out his heart and lodged in his spine. The victim was dead before he hit the ground. Had a fellow officer go around the corner looking for witnesses and the same demented guy shot him in the shoulder. The bullet went through the shoulder and he was treated
    and released that night. (The demented guy was shot with 12 ga. oo buck and 5 .38 hollow points. He was also treated and released that night).

Another fellow officer walked behind a drive through resturuant (jack in the box) and two would be robbers shot him in the cheek with a .22. Hit him right by the nose. Bullet shattered and went everywhere. Several months later he got out of the hospital and lived for many years.

.22s are funny bullets, they can go right through you or hit something and bounce around. Used to be many "hit men" liked them as they weren't that noisy, but when placed properly were very leathel.

.22s come in hollow point, solid, copper jacket, and in hyper volocity and sub sonic. Long rifle, long, short, and CB, and even a smaller version "super colibri" which will kill a squirrel and most likely a person if placed right.

While I was writing this others answered and you explained why you asked. I might suggest you use a .20 guage youth model shotgun with # 6 shot to protect your apartment. Won't go through someone and a wall, the sound of you "jacking" in a shell is extremely recognizable, you don't have to be a good shot, just point and shoot, and it will destroy anyone coming in your door after you.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

no like i said if (and i hope i never do) i had to shoot someone in my condo would the bullet go thru that person and into condo next door or go thru the house to neighbors house?
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A kid I grew up with was shot with a .22 and it went into his bicep, traveled up his arm, hit the shoulder bone and stuck in his chest. That was in 1982 or 83, so I hope my memory serves me right. Also, my grand father shot himself in the thigh and it ended up in his ankle. He had no mobility problems from that and lived to be very old. I have read that is does not really matter if they are HP or solid. They are light and fast and tend to ricochet and tumble wherever they go. They can enter and exit thinner portions of the body, or travel where they are directed. That is my understanding and I would not want to get hit by one.

I think Jeff Cooper had several commentaries on that. One was, if you are using a smaller caliber like that it is best to shoot for the eye sockets, and there was one comment I think he made that the .22 had a high chance of being stopped by bone. I do hope my memory is good on this. If am am wrong, please let me know.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Find it impossible to think a .22 would go through someone, through a wall, and into someone else enough to inflict damage. That being said its hard to believe many of the bullet stories out there. It's all up to chance, no matter how prepared, trained, or fancy equipment you have, if you hit someone just right, or just wrong...

Chances are pretty nil though, look at all the accidental gun deaths we hear about, how many are due to over-penetration?

That being said, I'm no ballistics expert.
  14. 76Highboy

I think that if a bullet did pass through a person, it would be spent. If it did hit someone, it would probably bounce off or stick in the clothing. As for as going through a person and a wall, I don't think so. But, that is just my thinking.
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i just wanted some opinions because i don't know i have never hunted or killed anything i just shoot at targets
  16. 76Highboy

I think it's a very valid question.
  17. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

and no i do not want to go shoot someone that would be the last thought ever on my mind but i have heard of people cleaning their guns and boom bullet is in the next apartment?
  18. sctt77

sctt77 New Member

i went to school with a guy that was hit in the head when he was young in his back yard playin it left him handicapped an crippled the gun that fired the .22 was about a mile away target shooting an missed the target my friend paid for it
  19. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Beth, i'll do a test on sheet rock in the next few days
  20. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

yes that just happened to an Amish girl, its a shame