SHOOTING AT BLOOMINGTON, IL GUN SHOW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juker, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Juker

Juker New Member

What follows is my account of an event that transpired this morning at the Gun & Knife Show, being held this weekend at the Sale Barn in Bloomington, Illinois.

I must stress that while I was at the event, I was not an immediate eyewitness.

I arrived at the show at 0945. Fine day for it, cold and overcast with a bit of freezing rain. I would estimate the attendance at around 2,500. It's a sizeable facility, and the show had something for everyone. The crowd was 99% good ol' boys.

At approximately 1100, a single gunshot was heard. I was about 20 yards from the site of the shooting, with several dozen people between me and the fired weapon. There was immediate silence. My first reaction was that this was a single shot, and there were no screams - no mass shooting or return fire. If pressed, I would have said it was a 20-gauge, but on a concrete floor in a metal building with very high ceilings, it's difficult to tell. After perhaps 10 seconds, there was a small wave of humanity pushing its way to a loading door - this turned out to be about 10 people who were desperate to get outside, obviously ignoring the hundreds of firearm owners who were not panicking.

To their credit, the IL State and Bloomington Police were on it in seconds. There were at least a dozen cops visible at the show, plus a number in plain clothes who probably were not on duty. I did not see the immediate response; I don't know if the man who fired the weapon was taken down, or threw up his hands - we'll know soon enough. I made my way over to that part of the building, reaching the area a couple of minutes after the shot. The police already had the aisle cordoned off. There was one man down and EMTs on the scene were inserting a tube into his chest. Another man was having his upper arm bandaged.

A dealer who was in the immediate area told me that a .223 had been fired, and at very close range hit two men. I can only assume that the man hit in the arm was hit first. An ambulance arrived within short minutes. It was obvious the police had the man who fired the weapon - I will refrain from calling him the "shooter" as that has intentional overtones - because there was no lockdown of any type, no panic, no questioning of the crowd outside the immediate location.

I will add that I did not see a single person with a camera phone or video camera taking any pictures. This stunned me, in the best way.

In short order business on the floor continued. This, to me, goes directly to the sense of law and order present in the minds of gun owners. The police were there, the situation was well under control, and there was no need for panic.

I departed shortly before noon, and actually got a very close look at the man responsible, as the cops were putting him in a squad car.

I can only assume how this happened, so I will not speculate. I do know that all weapons carried into the show by attendees were cleared and checked at the door.

I don't have to tell anyone how this will play out in the media. It only takes one ignorant bastid to load or fail to clear a weapon.
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

p.s. It's been said countless times before, and it's a rule to live by: ALWAYS TREAT A FIREARM AS IF IT IS LOADED. If someone tells you a weapon is clear, check it yourself. If you clear a weapon, continue to handle it as if it is loaded - namely, NEVER point it at anyone.

And if you're an a-hole, leave the gun shows to people who know what the hell they're doing.
  3. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

Gald you weren't hurt, seems like a case of exetreme stupidity at the moment.
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad your ok. Yea, the media... If someone is shot even accidentally, they post a picture of an ak-47 or an ar-15 behind them while doing the report. They thrive on panic and drama.
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

Another interesting point - when I left, there were at least a dozen police cars parked outside this large building, lights flashing. But this didn't deter the crowds - there were at least 40 people standing in line waiting to get in!
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

I've perused several Illinois news websites and found comments posted by others who were at the show. One attendee wrote that the vendor had just taken the Mini-14 in as a trade - which still doesn't explain how/why it was loaded.

And sure enough, there's video of the aftermath, shot by someone who was right there:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8B90AF9964A0A8DE
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You left out one important thing.

Did you find anything good? :)
  9. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I feel for them, getting shot is not fun, even if accidental.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

In a place like that, a .223 round could have done alot more damage/carnage, especially if it were a FMJ bullet!
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

LOL Why yes I did! A bulldog rifle case for my Marlin 795, a .30 cal ammo box for $8, two Mec Gar 9mm mags for the P95, several boxes of military grade 12-ga 00 ($4 for 5 shells), and several boxes of 12-ga rifled slugs.

And a bunch of kitchen matches, just because we needed some and I stumbled across a good deal.

Eyeballed plenty o'guns, but wasn't in the market for expanding the family yesterday.
  12. FN FAL

FN FAL New Member

I was at the show and we were approximately 20 feet to the right of where the two were hit. If you look at the picture on the bloomington slant-0-graph website it was taken just about where we were located.

Immediately after the shot was fired I turned and looked to my left and the fellow that was handling the Mini-14 still had it held in his hands up off the table. I know he stated that it went off just as he sat it down but I can't see him picking it back up after the round went off.

Within seconds of the round going off Bob Lekrone turned and yelled, "where did it go" meaning in what direction was the shot fired. The rifle was not pointed up when it went off. It took possibly as much as 20-30 seconds before the fellow with the chest wound to say he thought he had been hit and then collapse to the floor.

There was no mad rush for the doors anywhere I saw, only undercovers and what I would presume to be emt's, etc as there were some volunteer ff emblems on shirts making there way to the victims.

The Mini-14 had the dealers sale tag on it. The folks with the show promoters do a very good job of asking everyone if they have any firearms on them and checking them at the door. I would say the firearm did not come in with a round in it thru the patron entrance. I would also hope to think any dealer of any worth would be cleaning, checking and inspecting all his weapons before they are put on the tables for others to handle meaning the chances of the weapon having a round in it when he brought it in are also slim. The Mini-14 did not have any magazine attached.

My thinking is it really only leaves two options, either the dealer didn't check a weapon brought into the show when they set up friday evening/ saturday early OR someone put the round into the gun during the show.

Talking to one of the dealers I know after the incident he tells me they have been warned time and again about the possibility of the anti-gunners infiltrating shows to cause problems just such as this. I didn't ask if they had actually ever caught anyone doing such an act but with the mentality of so many of those folks I see it as a real danger.

tim
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I watched all three videos, and though I zoomed in on those vids, I could not see any locking devices on any of the fire arms on the tables. Do they not do that in Illinois?
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

No locking devices. You have to show your FOID card before you can handle any firearms or ammunition.
  15. Juker

Juker New Member

Howdy brother, glad to hear there was someone else on the board at the show, and welcome to TFF. Very glad to know you got a close look at what happened - I'll be interested to hear if they get any prints off that casing.

Incredibly, I was at another gun show when a round was fired, in Houston in '93 or '94. Fortunately the weapon was pointed at the ceiling.
  16. carver

carver Moderator

What is a FOID card? I was also at a gun show yesterday. I really feel for everyone involved at the show you went to. Even if everybody lives, things like this do change lives. There is no way that you can hold a gun show, and still guarantee that there will not be an accident, or deliberate shooting. Just like you can't on a public street. Here in my area, TX, or LA, all guns at a gun show are rendered unable to be fired by simply using black, and white, Zip Ties. White ones on blued/black guns, and black ones on shiney nickle, stainless, and chrome. All dealers will render all guns unable to function by using a Zip Tie. They are told to keep an eye out for any of their guns that might get a Zip Tie removed. I also am looking for missing Zip Ties while I am shopping, just as many other coustomers are. It ain't perfect, but it is what it is. I do have a CCW, and walked into the show yesterday, right past the cop that was supposed to ask if I had any fire arms on me, and he didn't! I had left everything in the car, including my knife. I brought my hickory walking stick, so I wasn't totally defenceless. But I could have had ten guns on me! Thankfully no accidents here, but we have had them in the past. I found a sling for my .308, it was one of those that can be used as a single, or double point sling, and has the bungie cords at each end. I picked up a new pair of cheap rubber grips for the old .45, and bought my wife a signed turquoise ring. The best deal I found was a S&W 4" .44spcl for $600, but when I asked the dealer for a card, he had none. When I asked him for a phone #, he had none. When I asked him where he was from, he wouldn't say! I didn't buy the gun! They did have 7.62X39 ammo for $106 per 500rds, and that is always a good deal. I go to so many Gun Shows that I keep running into the same dealers every where I go! There was also a knife colector at this show whom I had never met. Oh My God! This man had a really large collection of quill knives, and also some pruning knives! If I could have afforded some of these I would have walked out of there with several!
  17. Juker

Juker New Member

Ah, the beloved and much ballyhooed FOID card. We're the only state that has one. Enacted in Illinois in 1969, the Firearm Owners Identification Card is issued by the IL State Police. The current fee is $10 for a card that's good for 10 years. The card is required for any IL firearm or ammo transaction. No FOID, no guns. Get caught with a firearm and no FOID, it's off to the pokey. The state police do an extensive background check, so I'm sure quite a few felons have been blocked from getting the card. It obviously has had a major impact on crime, as Chicago only had 435 murders last year. (Note heavy sarcasm here.) (To the best of my knowledge, none of these murders were committed by FOID holders.)

I resisted getting one for a few years, but I believe there are some 2,000,000 FOID holders in the state, and I figured I better join the club until we can escape from Illinois.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

There's lot's of room in Texas!:D
  19. Double D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  20. Double D

Let me see...Freezing cold weather, mob controlled, anti gun government, no concealed carry, high crime, shall I continue? I would be glad to offer my services to help you escape. Im sure others would too....
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011