shooting better with 2 inch than 6 inch

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 38 special, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I shoot 2 inch snubs off sandbag rest at 15 yards to see how good they group. I got a detective special that shoots a 3/4 inch group at 15 yards about a half inch up from point of aim in the bullseye ( i hold at 6oclock on bulleye). After trial and error with alot of different loads I found one that will consistently shoot this good. I know most people dont care about shooting a snub off sand bag rest single action but I do. I found that it will shoot basically dead on at 7 yards and 3 yards also with the same hold but with an even better group. I tried it at 30 yards and group opens up to 1.5 inches still real good as far as I'm concerned.
    THe thing is I can't shoot any better with a colt python with 6 inch barrel. My group with it at 30 yards is about 2 inches not as good as the DS
    MY eyes arent that good anymore and it seems the sights are clearer on the DS than the Python. I know most say that the increased distance between sights helps but I think I can focus better with the DS because sights are closer together.Any body else have same experience??
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The best shooting gun that I ever held was a Colt with a 2 inch barrel. I don't remember the model because it didn't belong to me. I let a co-worker borrow some money and he let me "hold" his pistol until he paid me back. I tried for 2 years to buy that gun after he paid me!!
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't know about 2 inch barrel but the shorter barrels do shoot better because of the reason you spoke of.....
    Bad eyesight due to age has taken its toll on my shooting. Also, the sights on revolvers seem to work better for me right now than the sights on autos. I Love that big red front sight!!!!! Also the sights being higher up off the barrel helps me see what i am shooting at as well. I also like the fact that the front sight does not completely fill the rear notch....

Yes, short revolvers....RUGER REVOLVERS... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Those old Colts will all shoot. The fact that the Det Spl's sights work better for you aids your shooting. with it which probably explains the better accuracy for you.

I have an old Police Positive Special built in 1929 that is a very accurate revolver. It will out shoot most any other revolver I own.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Long barrel guns shoot more accurately because there is more distance between the front and rear sight making aiming more accurate.But seeing the sights gets harder with age. There area several different solutions which I have used over the last 20 years.

The first is the least expensive. You go to the drug store and pick out a pair of reading galsses that force your eyes to be sharper at the front sight then at the rear or at the target. Obviously you can not take your gun with you. So to determine the magnification, hold your finger up and extend you arm to full length (as you would when shooting a pistol). Try different magnification reading glasses to get the finger sharper without too much compromise in the distance field of view. You might want to place yourself so that you can see a distant object that is about 50 feet or 25 yds or 50 yds (whatever distance at which you shoot pistol targets). The bias should be towards the finger and not the "target". if you wear glasses the reading glass easily slip over the top of them and if it is only shooting glasses you wear then the reading glasses can take the place of them if the brand you buy is safety rated.

The next approach is the rather expensive devices Olympic shooters wear on their galsses. It is a mini lens system (several powers of that lens is usually in the box) that clips to your glasses, shooting or regular. Pick the lens as in the "reading glasses" above. I find this setuyup most usefull for rifle shooting with open sights. Mine was purchased over 20 years ago and is made by Clearsight (Are they still in business????).

The last choice is the Merit device or the several cheaper alternatives. It is basically a very small hole through which you sight. Its hole is so small that it changes the focus ability of the eye and if your eyes are not too bad give you resonable sharpness of the front and rear sight, and the target, at the expense of brightness. It works very well outdoors and more than good enough in well lite indoor ranges.

http://midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=978528

http://www.championshooters.com/store/home.php?cat=268

LDBennett
  6. 38 special

38 special New Member

Thanks much for the vision enhancement ideas. The posts from all show there is a lot of experienced shooters on this site.