Shooting Diversity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brob73, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Brob73

Brob73 New Member

This may... or may not have been brought up before..but I don't know.

Is it just me!??..my area!??
    or does it seem there is little to no ethnic diversity in shooting sports???
    (..and the "beltway sniper" doesn't count!)..yes I know..bad joke:rolleyes: :D

I frequent a couple different gun ranges...All White!
    I frequent many different gun shops...All White!!
    I frequent many different gun shows...almost all White!

why is this!??

Alot of my friends are of different ethnic backgrounds and I still can't figure it out!??
  2. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

From my experiences in Texas and Oklahoma I have seen some ethnic diversity at the ranges, mostly hispanic. When I have seen diversity at different competitions I have been to, those individuals are usually ex-military.

Of course I don't care who comes to the range as long as they follow the rules, are safe and are respectful of those around them.

I would really like to see more Moms and Dads take their children to the range.
  3. idocdave

idocdave New Member

I have taken my kids (2) to the range, my wife and I shot 22's and they shot bb guns. there was another guy with his boy shooting, the boy had a youth gun and let my 2 shoot it some, now that I have my new BV the boy gets the old Mossberg so I will be taking him this Monday to shoot indoors with me.
    I have to talk to the guys about shooting the Black Death Challange it should be fun indoors.
  4. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

I don't know, if you were Black, how comfortable would you feel going to a gravel pit in the middle of the woods that is populated with nothing but armed white guys drinking beer???? I say this half joking, but there may be some truth to it. Plus I think the general population has the impression that gun owners are a bunch of redneck, beer guzzling bubbas. There are a lot of gun sites on the web that don't help dispel the stereotype either.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Y'all never been to Compton, California, obviously!
    There, ethnic minorities, like Vietnamese, African Americans, Hispanics, and a few white boys, trade shooting tips all the time, frequently, while driving by, in the 'hood!
    Seriously, here in Texas, the Black people seem under, but not un, represented at the few ranges I visit. Hispanics, come October (pre deer season), are over represented, at local ranges.
    Anybody got a reason?
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

In all of my years going to shooting ranges i have never seen anyone consume an kind of Alcohol at the range!!!!!

Now that sounds like something a democrat would say... Excuse yourself that it was meant jokingly but leave the door open by saying you think there might be something to it....

Ok...in the first two highlighted quotes you ask a question of how a black person would feel about doing something under conditions that rarely if ever exist. You painted it like....A TYPICAL DEMOCRAT!!!! ....that gun owners are a bunch of gun toting, beer drinking loose cannons or something like that.

AND THEN you say that you were half joking about it...but then leave an opening at the end that this may actually be happening?

And in the final highlighted part of your ramblings you go on to say that you "think" the general population has a bad view of gun owners?!!!!

PERHAPS thats because of people like you huck, saying things off the top of your head that you have no proof for whatsoever!!!!!

You're a liberal with completely backwards views of just about everything in the world...so much so to the point where you cannot even comment on the smallest of things without some kind of wackyness coming out of your mouth......

mike
    gn
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ok, here's my theory. City life is different than country life. People in cities are a little more liberal in their leanings so i would assume that in the city there were would be less inclination on the part of minoritites to even be interrested in guns. Plus, guns are expensive. The good ones are anyway.
    Minoritites in the cities may just have other things in mind when it comes to spending money.... like nice cars and such...and with new cars comes the expensive licensing(sp)? that comes with it. Citites charge alot more for tags than they do in less populated areas. Places like Omaha, nebr have something called a "wheel tax" which with a new car will run ya $2,500 easy the first year....so i would say that the minorities have other things on their minds when it comes to spending money..... :(

Now when it comes to rural life people don't always use a shooting range. Everyone down here has a friend who has enough land that is willing to let you do some shootin on it. Especially if you buy enough ammo for your landowning friend to shoot without expense to himself... ;) And under these conditions its usually groups of friends that go shooting which is a slightly different situation than shooting at a range where there are strangers you do not know.

Thats my 2 cents anyway...

mike
    gn
  8. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Thats just...wrong!!! :rolleyes:

mike
    gn
  10. Brob73

Brob73 New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

glocknut has some very sensible points and in my situation, seems to fit....But it still doesn't completely satisfy my question.

I guess minorities just aren't into shooting sports!!???

Now,...I'm not a liberal democrat but this is a true story:
    I've asked a few of my "minority" friends if they wanted to go shooting..
    and 2 of them had somewhat similar replies leaning toward a few things Huck Finn had to say. They were supposedly joking but there's got to be a hint of truth there somewhere.
  11. durk

durk Active Member

Most jokes need some truth in them to be funny.:)
  12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Here in Nor Cal, where I shoot competition pistol.. It goes, whites, asian, hispanic & a few blacks in that order. All a bunch of good people. At our public range for plinking, it's more evenly spread out. I think a lot of minorities don't shoot competitively, because they get intimidated as begginers. I enjoy the fun & comradery as much as the competition, & I think most my buddies do too.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  13. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Huck Finn
    I don't know, if you were Black, how comfortable would you feel going to a gravel pit in the middle of the woods that is populated with nothing but armed white guys drinking beer????

Quote from Gloacknut
    In all of my years going to shooting ranges i have never seen anyone consume an kind of Alcohol at the range!!!!!

Mike, sorry to trip you up with facts again, but in my quote I said "gravel pit in the middle of the woods" NOT range. I've never seen anyone drinking & shooting at the range, but have seen a lot of people having a beer while shooting at a gravel pit or in the woods. There was one place where a lot of the AR15.com "commandos" used to shoot. You know the kind, 350 pound bubbas wearing more tactical crap than an army of real swat guys. I stopped shooting there, not only because it was crowded, but because of the crowd.
    The reason I said "half jokingly" is because I cannot assume to speak for all minorities with any authority.

As for the rest of your rant, am I right in assuming that in your opinion, most non-gun owning people in America think of us as responsible, safe citizens who can police themselves and require no heavy handed gun laws to protect "them" from "us"?
    Huck
  14. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I have to say my club is diversified, but not much and all are welcome that have a desire to conform to rules and contribute to club.
  15. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Our range has no ethnic diversity at all.
    We only have the same old boring paper targets.