shooting from the hip?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lizardtrack, Jan 25, 2010.

1. lizardtrack

lizardtrack New Member

I have never fired a 45 lc. What is it like to fire one from the hip? I have a 4 5/8" .44 flattop Ruger that I have put thousands of rds through and cannot picture firing it from the hip, maybe I'm just a wimp but would be willing to let anyone show me how it's done. How do the cowboy loads compare in vel. to the .44? I'm using 24 grs. of 2400 with 240 gr bullets. As far as quick draw, I can draw and fire in slightly less than one minute.:D
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I've fired a 45LC out of a Taurus Judge. I've fired a 44mag out of a Dan Wesson. I could never imagine trying to shoot a 44mag off the hip w/o killing my wrist. 45LC is no comparison. Plus remember old western 45LC's were black powder. Not near the pressures of modern ammo.
  3. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Yeah and the quick draw guy on Impossible Shots shoots wax, movie set rounds.
  4. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

cowboys--CASS/SASS-- shot light loads. perhaps 6.5gr unique under a 250gr LRNFP. 700 fps tops.

rules do not allow for cocking the gun till the sights are on target. so no fanning or snap shots. a hip shot will get you DQ'ed.

it is considered dangerous to cock a hammer as you are drawing. well, it is.
    a special holster with a piece of steel in it that is curved away from the body below the muzzel is made.
    practice point shooting and when you are comfortable with add the draw--BUT do not cock the hammer till the barrel is level to the ground and you are on target.

google 'sammy davis quick draw' for a visual how its done
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you really want an idea of what it would be like, just buy a box of 44 Special and shoot them in your flattop. 44 Special is close to 45 Colt power and recoil. Punier, but a much better comparison than a 44 Magnum.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think many people actually "shoot from the hip". The expression means to speak without thinking, but actually firing a pistol from the hip is rarely done. (Yes, I know about the contortions of the cap poppers who fired blanks from a gun barely clear of the holster, but that was not only a game, but a rather silly one at that.)

In most cases, the term is used to mean firing a pistol from at or below waist level. With practice, that can be done with sufficient accuracy for many self-defense situations where taking time to raise the gun to eye level and use the sights could be fatal. (It is also fun rolling cans shooting "from the hip"; impresses folks.)

Jim
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    I SOMETIMES GO TO MY PRIVATE RANGE AND PRACTICE SHOOTING FROM THE HIP THIS IS WITH A RUGER SUPER SINGLE SIX 22,AFTER A FULL DAY I AM PRETTY GOOD BUT A FULL DAY OF 22S MAYBE 500 ROUNDS IN NOT LIKE THAT WITH A CENTERFIRE PISTOL.THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS IS THE LONGER YOU DONT PRACTICE THE WORSE YOULL BE,EACH TIME I HAVE TO START OVER.I KNOW THIS SOUNDS STUPID BUT IF YOU JUST SIMPLY JUST RAISE YOUR FINGER IN A RAPID MOTION AND POINT TO DIFFERENT OBJECTS AND THEN ALIGN YOUR EYE SIGHT DOWN YOUR FINGER TO SEE HOW CLOSE YOUR AIMING AT OBJECT IS,IS ABOUT THE BEST I CAN TELL YOU(DONT CHEAT) HOPE THIS IS OF SOME VALUE TO YOU. OLD SEMPERFI